Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

60 gallon 2x2x2 tank progress...

Well,

With my 180gal reef running now for over a year, I'm off to another project.

I recently picked up a 2ft 60gal cube tank (thanks Frank!) that will be plumbed into my main system.

This tank will be situated in the sunken living room area of my house, and visible to the neighbors who were wondering what the blue glow was in my basement.

This will be my first foray into the FOWLR flavour of tanks. I did however plan for the "just in case" scenario in terms of lighting... as you will see with my equipment list.

So far, I have amassed the following:

60 gal 2x2x2 Cube tank
    Jalli 24" Light fixture with 2x T5 Actinics, and 1x 250w DE MH (10k XM)
    80lbs Dry Baserock

The stand will be DIY, made from standard 2x4's and veneered plywood. It will be stained to match the furniture occupying the same room. It's height will be approximately 27" in order to match with the height of the sofa it will be next to.

I'm still contemplating what to use in terms of sump return & water circulation. I was convinced that a Sequence DART was going to be enough to act as a return to my 180gal reef AND the 60gal FOWLR located 10ft over the sump, however upon some investigation, it turns out that this pump can't handle that amount of head-pressure.

Sump return will either be a Sequence Hammerhead pump dividing it's load to the Reef, refugium, and this fowlr tank, OR it will be a GenX PCX-40 pump acting as a single return to this fowlr tank. The PCX-40 will be able to pump ~900gph @ 10ft. In either case, a flap-style checkvalve will be plumbed in. I'm still thinking over the pros/cons of each setup, and I'm open to opinions!

Thanks to Dazz, I was able to drill the cube earlier this week to accomodate a 1.5" bulkhead. The drilling went smoothly with Dazz holding the drill, and me saying "don't worry, if it breaks, it breaks! ". It was drilled in one of the corners, and will have a "Stockman" style standpipe as an overflow.

I picked up the Baserock today at Reefsolution. There are some nice large pieces intermixed with some smaller pieces. I'm going to let this rock sit for a week or two in circulated saltwater after my next waterchange on my 180gal so as to "cure" any baddies out of there. If anyone thinks this is not enough, please chime in... I'll test for AMM, Nitrite, etc, before introducing all this rock into my system.

Anyhow, Pictures will be coming along shortly, so that you can all follow along.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions are all welcome....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of "let's drill the floor for an other tank" Mouhahahahaah!

Can't wait to see it in place! got to make sure you're home next time I go for a walk though!.lol
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

LOL, tell me about it...
    Nice new floors, and here I am drilling a couple of holes into them...
    Actually, I'm gonna cut a large rectangle the size of an air vent so that if/when I move, I can just cover that hole with a vent grill cover.

Go for the biggest possible return pump, it will be much easier to plumb in new tanks My pump pulls about 6amps , but it does skimmer, chiller, fuge, and supplies 4 display tanks among different floors and distances... I wonder how many amps it would cost me in seperate pumps?
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

Since I know that

Here they come...

Here's the 60gallon tank, sitting temporarily in the entrance of my house, blocking the stairs and generally in the way... I moved it to drill it, and then put it back in the way... Takes a man, huh?
    You can see the hole drilled already in the corner for the standpipe. This is a fairly old tank, so I will be re-doing the silicone along all the edges.

Here's a picture of the Jalli light fixture. 2x T5 actinics, and a 250w DE MH.

40 pounds of baserock:

Another 40 pounds...

Close-ups of the larger pieces:

The intended location for this tank will be between the Yellow divan and the brown loveseat, where the lamp currently is. This just happens to be directly above the sump in the room below.

Ok about the tank being in the way.... you know you're not scoring ANY points with the wife here right?!!? I'm assuming she said ok for this tank but if you want at anytime to upgrade or hehehe add an other, MAKE SURE that this experience is STRESS FREE for her... having to step around the tank to go down stairs is getting her PO'd everytime even though she prolly hasn't said a word yet! Trust me on this one! move the tank somewere where she doesn't have to side step it...lolllll

It's final resting place will be just perfect! a real nice "center' piece to the room and isn't just perfect how the sump is "just" below it?
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Just my two cents, but i'd go with a new pump for the new setup, why mess with the 180G when it's up and running, let it be, and just add a new pump. Why go through the nightmare of redoing all that plumbing and the first night of it running having to go through the 'is that water i hear, better go check'. Plus could you imagine the nightmare of getting all the flow rates just right, you change one valve and everything will change.
    Adam

wow its going to be gr8!
    But I'm wondering also why you don't leave well enough alone and just plumb it separately? D'oh what do I know but I'll have that donut!
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

I like the fixture! Where did you get it? How much did it cost?
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

I got the fixture used from one of the members here

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast