Unhappy tissue loss on plating Turbinaria Peltana

I bought a plating Turbinaria Peltana, 5 days ago, and the tissue in the middle strated falling off today, and showing dead white polyps.

It was fine when bought, but where the tissue is removing, the colour was a yellow rather than the pinkish colour of the rest of the colony, I thought that this was just "from bad conditions" at the RS, and with love the color would retrn. Apperently not.

Can anyone advise me as to the condition it has, and whether or not to frag this magnificent piece.

The attached photo is of the section that has died off.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Unhappy

A pic of the whole colony.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Some nice pics, before the reccession/tissue loss/ die off....

Another pic.

Well, here's my opinion...

These corals should always have a solid even coloring when healthy. The fact that it was yellowish in a certain area when you bought it should have made you sceptical about taking it. Their flesh is very thin and easily damaged during handling and transport. Because of the thin skin, they also tend to have a problem with detritus or other various silt type stuff accumulating on it's surface. When this happens, the tissue dies off underneath. When I had mine, I was always making sure it was clean. Solid current blowing over it helps, but if it's too strong, the polyps don't fully extend..., admittedly, a bit of a touchy placement problem.

I would first watch it for another day or two, and if you see any more recession happening at all, then frag it, but make the cut into the good tissue so that you don't keep any necrotic tissue with the frag. Dip it in some ReefDip, then return it to the tank. Watch it to see if it starts to recede anymore. Keep us updated on it.

Thanks for your reply.

The recession has spread to another 3 polyps since the initial post, and there is some color loss in another area, and the start of recession. I only noticed the recession after gently turkey blasting it and the "skin" just fell away....

I have strongly concidered fragging it, though am not sure the best way to go about it, as i don't want to break it into a million small pieces. There is is about a 1/4 that is healthy and not affected at all.

I may turkey blast it again to show the extent of the loss and use that as a guage as to where the healthy starts.

Can you advice the best way to frag and not damage it anymore.

Unfortunately there isn't much literature around on these corals, in the plethera of books i have anyway......

We don't have ReefDip here. Are there any other substites that i can use??

Thanks for your help.

On a coral with a thick skeleton, a dremel with a cutting wheel works best.
    Are you able to get Lugol's Iodine around there ( a brand sold in good fish stores)? If so, use a diluted solution of some saltwater and a few drops of the Lugol's.
    A book that is good is called Book of Coral Propagation by Anthony Calfo.
    It talks about the different types of corals families and how you can grow, frag them.

Thanks,

I have iodine at home, and will dilute it, and "Coral Propagation" by Anthony Calfo, and have read most, but must have missed the part that's currently relevant to me... Murphy is lurking around here somewhere...Heh...

Andy has a dremel drill, but wont let me near it (Humph), and thinks it's not worth saving. He may be right, the color change is scattered in little spots now, it'd be a matter of saving a small cluster of polps at best.

I know it's from deeper waters, and the polyps open alot more that are under the shade of the monti, but i can't move it anywhere else in the current tank, and it's near the bottom now already with good gentle flow that cleans without being to strong.

Will the recession continue to spread or stop? There are a couple polyps that have had obvious past recession and it has stopped, and not spread.

Is there anything i can do to stop it?

It's a wonderful coral, and the polps are magic when open, (open day and night as they do), with bright vibrant greens and yellows. A delight to see.

I think the new 250wt XM bulbs are too much, as the polyp color is not as vibrant where it is exposed to the light more.

Thanks again.
    Much apprciated.