Thread: Wimplefish?

Wimplefish?

Does anyone have one, or have advice on them, I'm looking to try to get one soon...actually I really want a Moorish Idol but they seem to be fairly hard and not reef safe. Most of what I'm reading on Wimplefish is that they are hardy and a more reef safe butterfly.

They are much easier to keep then moorish idols
    but Moorish idols look WAY Better

its all in the one you get
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Do you have one?

Believe you are refering to the butterflyfish heniochus also known as poor man's idol and your fish

check out the link

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/heniochu.htm

The big problem is that there is two that are almost identical the

Heniochus acuminatus are not reef safe and the Heniochus diphreutes are reef safe with caution, I know a buddy that has had two in his tank no problem except the occassion nipping at lps such as candy cane coral, I has one at a time that took a liking to xenia and gorgians, but a lot of people have success with the Heniochus diphreutes. The problem is getting the right one as the only real different in near the bottom back of the fish as if you look close in the pics on the link you'll see that the Heniochus diphreutes is spilt even with black and white right down the middle as the other is not. Good luck. Hope this helps.

I guess it's taking a chance with any butterfly if it's going to eat coral or not. :bawling:

I guess it depends on what you want more. myself I keep large angels in my reef with the undestanding that I can not keep most lsps or clams, just mainly sps,s a leathers. My friend has said that his are fine, he just keeps them well feed. I would but them equall to the copperband.

I really love the Moorish Idol. I wonder if I fed him lots if he would still eat my coral?

2 accually
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Bram,
    Are you saying those are 2 different Idols that you have in your tank?
    If so, can you give me a brief history of you owning them? How long you had them, what you feed them, size of your tank and other fish, etc?

Cool

wendi, I would stay away from these fish for some time until you get more experience. [this is not a slite] its just that you mentioned you can't keep a tang alive, well, these fish are 10x harder! and IMO your tank is really to small to support a butterfly. they need tremendess water quality and you have no sump or refugium for added volume.