Which would you chose?

Hi folks, I've been away for a while working and have just returned home. I've got some catching up to do on the threads as I missed alot. I am going to upgrade the system and the first thing will be a skimmer. As I am crossing over to a 180 G, I was thinking of the Deltec MCE600 or the Lifereef HVS3-24. Does anyone have any yea's or nays on these two hang ons because I'd be glad to hear them. The total system will have 215 G (sump incl.) eventually but right at this time 77 G. Any help will be appreciated !
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

I am a hugh Deltec fan myself. I think most people are fans of whatever they have. I would have to say that you may want to reconsider a hang on the back (HOB) as you are going to have a sump. The MCE 600 is rated for a 155gal tank lightly stocked or 100 gal heavily stocked. You would need an APF 850 or the AP701. As I stated you will not get the performance you need with any HOB design for the volume you are quoting. Watch the classified sections here and on www.aquariumpros.ca. I recently saw a Euroreef CS8-5 for sale at half the normal retail price from J&L Aquatic.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Thanks for your reply swiseman, I'd like to go with an in sump but as there will be quite a bit of time between the change over from the 77 to the 180, I wanted to use the skimmer on both. I do understand that youre limited with the hang-ons. The 77 will be the sump for the 180, would I be correct in assuming that the sump while in operation will be only 50% in use, bringing the total to around 220 (180+40 G). So this is what my skimmer should be rated or should I shoot for one a little higher, say around 250 G. Or is there a percentage I should be overshooting for, I've heard that the ratings are grossly off on some models.
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Skimmers such as Deltec, Euroreef, H&S are the only ones that I have researched so I do not want to comment on other models. They will usually quote normal stocking and heavy stocking rating for their skimmers. In this case base your needs on the heavy stocking level and you should be fine. Your calculation of the water volume does not take into account other things that displace the water such as rock, sand, and equipment. I am affraid there is no way you can buy a skimmer for the 77 that will work for your future tank. I suggest the classified sections as I mentioned before and try to find a good deal on a used skimmer for the 77. I have a Seaclone 100 in the basement that I may be willing to trade for something interesting.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

I tried it a few ways and I would stick with needle-wheel. They are simple and reliable with low power consumption. There are plenty of good of ways to the time and electricity you will save.

Good call swiseman on the fact that I dont have as much water as I was thinking because of substrate and rock, I never thought of that! I guess that's why your here, LOL! Of course to figure that out is a lot of math and presuming I know ahead of time what I'll be putting in the tank. If I figure on my water capacity as I described before (220 G) , that would give me plenty of leeway so as not to be under capacity by not subtracting for sand and rock. It probably is better to have the skimmer be able to handle a little more demand than not! The old saying we use in the electrical field is : better to be looking at it, than looking for it. So with this in mind I'll have to search out capacity ratings of the different skimmers!

Ok, so I've check out a few skimmers rated for between 180-200 and up. I've check out lifereef but cant find ratings at all! Others were H&S, Euroreef, Deltec and a few others. For those of you with large tanks, what was your choice of skimmer and why did you choose the one you did?

Availability was the key for me. Deltec, Euroreef, and H&S are all considered top of the line. They also come at a premium price. Search around the classified sections and wait and see what comes up. I do know where you can get a good deal on a Deltec right now. As for the Lifereef, I believe those are venturi skimmers. Venturi type skimmers have fallen out of favour for the newer needlewheel recirculating skimmers. I could be wrong about the Lifereef so don't take my word for it.

Just curious, which mail order town in NB do you live in.

Hardware:

Ha ha, Saint John. You must have some idea of what its like!