Hammers and Frogspawn

Hello.

After having great success with mushrooms, Im looking towards stepping it up a notch with my next coral. I would like to try a hammer or frogspawn, only Im not sure if it would do well in my tank. My biggest concern is to provide the proper lighting. My tanks is 25 gallons and is approx. 15" deep. Ive got 110watts of PC light. Ive read that metal halide is recommended in order for the coral to keep its colour. If placed mid to top of the tank, would it be alright? Can it be placed in the rockwork, or should it be placed in the sand?

Any help or information is appreciated. I like to try and learn as much as I can about things before I put them into my tank.

Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

It's actually a relatively low light LPS, 110 watts would be fine.

ijo
    I find LPS does well under PC/T5/VHO lights... A candycane coral would be a good one to start with.

IJO

Agree with Dustin, thats plenty of light for Frogspawn. I kept it under normal output lighting for a year before going to metal halides. As for placement, well it is supposed to be in the substrate, however, I keep mine on the rock about 8" from the bottom. There was a hole in one of the rocks that the stalk fit into perfectly. Moderate flow is also good as you don't want the tenticles blowing off. Thats about it really. One last thing, I don't spot feed mine, however, others will say they do. All of my corals get fed when I clean the photoplancton off the glass.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

I too agree with everyone else here. These will do just fine under your light and might even keep nicer colors. MH lights will make them get pale and they won't be as colorful. GO FOR IT!!!!! :happy2:

I have a 30 gal with 110 watts of light. I have a frogspawn that is doing fine. you may want to try a brain too.

Quote Originally Posted by Toutouche
    I too agree with everyone else here. These will do just fine under your light and might even keep nicer colors. MH lights will make them get pale and they won't be as colorful. GO FOR IT!!!!! :happy2:
    I don't want to start a debate in this thread, but, I have to politely disagree with this statement on the grounds that it may diswade someone with MH from getting a Frogspawn.

I can't figure out how to post pictures into the message anymore, however, if you visit my gallery the first picture of the frogspawn was taken recently and is under MH/VHO. The picture towards the bottom of the page is of the same coral 4 months prior under 180 watts of NO lighting. The coloration, condition, and growth of this coral are dramatically better under the MH lighting.

I have no idea if it would look better under PC lighting, however, I can say for sure that it does not loose color under MH.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Swise,
    LPS are lower light corals and will do just fine under flourescants. That's not to say they'll fry or die under MH's. They probably "do" grow faster under MH, but they will also lose some of their intensity, if they are directly in the light. 250's on a 110 gallon isn't too much light. I guarantee you if you exchanged those 250's with 400's, the LPS will get paler. Every single person, myself included who added intensity to their tanks have had their LPS get somewhat paler. The growth by the way doesn't always have to do with the light. To know how much an LPS has grown, you have to know what to look for. Many people who have LPS and have them under lower lighting think the more the polytps or fleshy areas extend, the better it's growing and faster when the truth is actually the opposite. LPS will extend the fleshy areas more under lower lighting to increase surface area for light absorbtion. You have to look at actual skeletal growth to know how fast it's growing. This is the only way to measure growth on a LPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Toutouche
    Swise,
    LPS are lower light corals and will do just fine under flourescants. That's not to say they'll fry or die under MH's. They probably "do" grow faster under MH, but they will also lose some of their intensity, if they are directly in the light. 250's on a 110 gallon isn't too much light. I guarantee you if you exchanged those 250's with 400's, the LPS will get paler.

I agree with this statement. The first one you made implied all MH. I don't personally think anyone needs 400 watt MH unless they have a 30" or deeper tank and/or they have an sps dominated tank. I am actually having a hard time with a lobo that is showing signs of too much light. Moved him to the shade and it seems to be doing better.

The bottom line for the purpose of this thread is that 110w PC is more than enough for the Frogspawn.

Hardware:

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman
    The bottom line for the purpose of this thread is that 110w PC is more than enough for the Frogspawn.
    Yup!!
    By the way, I am now a believer that even 400's are too much.., even on a deeper tank such as a 30". Perhaps if the tank is even deeper, then fine, but truth be told, you usually place the lower light corals on the bottom anyways, so why would you just want stronger lighting to penetrate a lot right to the bottom. I used to use 250's and then 400's. I found that while the strong light corals "really" grew when placed high up, they did just as fine under somewhat milder lighting. A lot of high light loving corals I had did just as fine midway down in the tank. I guess if you want to place "high light" corals all the way down to the bottom, then 400's would be good. Come to think of it, that WOULD be a good reason to use them..., more place to put them and in the end you end up with more high light corals all OVER thew tank!
    Otherwise, 250's are good enough, even for most light loving SPS.