Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Copperband Butterfly

Why shouldn't I get one in my reef??? and why should I get one in my reef?

Thanks for sharing oppinions of and experiences with the copperband butterfly
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

ijo
    I have never had any problems with a copperband... they are a great looking fish and there is a good chance they will take care of your aptasia issue(if you have one). The only problem I have found is they can and will wipe out your feather dusters rather quickly. HTH

IJO

Yes, you should get one!! It is my "favorite" fish, and one of the main reasons I started in SW. They are a very graceful fish and fun to watch as it swims in all directions, often doing summersaults and turning head over tail as it picks at the rockwork.
    It is tricky picking a good candidate though.., make sure it is very active, fat and healthy looking, not hiding, eating "WELL" at the store, and has no blemishes or discolorations.
    99% of the time, they will erradicate any Aiptasia you have.

On the negative side, they will also eradicate any Featherdusters, whether big ones that you put in the tank, or the tiny one that grow by themselves on the rockwork as Ivan mentioned. That's it though, only 1 negative thing about them!!!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I'll add another negative thing about them; The difficulty in finding a healthy specimen, and more-so one that will last more than 4 months.

Over the passed year or so, I have heard my fair share of sad stories regarding the dismal survival rate of this fish. And I can also add my own experience.

I tried to keep this fish twice. First one took a week to get to eat, and even then would only eat mysis. Yes, he cleared my tank of any featherfusters and aiptasia, but after that, just went downhill, and died at the 4month mark.

My 2nd attempt, again, only ate mysis. This time I really tried to feed as much mysis as I could. However, in the end, it got skinnier and skinnier, until it too, died at the 4month mark.... to the day.

It is said that Australian Copperbands do better than those from Indo. Probably due to fishing practices in Indonesia (ie: cyanide). However, there's no way to be absolutely certain that yours came from Australia as the wholesaler might just label an Indo Copperband as being from Australia to entice the LFS purchasing it.

If I try a Chelmon sp. butterfly ever again, it will be the Chelmon muelleri (aka Mueller's Butterfly). This fish originates ONLY from Australia. It is also reputed to adapt notably better to captivity than it's cousin Chelmon rostratus (Copperband Butterfly). It is very similar in markings to a Copperband, except that it's markings are darker, and it's snout is shorter. It also eats aiptasia, and featherfusters for that matter...

Here's a pic of a Muelleri Butterfly:
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Yes, CBB's tend to only eat meaty foods, as did mine, but if you get a good specimen, it will last a very long time. Vince, you saw firsthand how mine went through a tough time when it got banged up from the falling rock, remember? Although it was touchy, it bounced back real fast. Mine moved on to Bill and did very well there too.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Oh I agree, if you have a healthy specimen to start off with, it will do great! The problem is finding a healthy specimen.
    Sadly, you don't know just by looking at one at the LFS. Both of mine looked fine for the first 3 months, then you could visibly see the fish starving.
    Don't know if it was cyanide, or an intestinal infection in both cases... But the strange thing is that everyone who I've spoken to recently has told me that their Copperband also died at the 4 month mark.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I guess I am veeeery lucky!!

Thanks Ivan, Tout, and TMM.

Ivan, I REALY like my feather dusters, but the aptaisia in my tank is spreading rather quickly...

Tout, it sounds like you scored a good one. I unfortunatly wont buy this fish in person, there are no lfs where I live Ill have to trust whoever I buy from online or on the phone. How old is your ex CBB? Is he still in Bills tank? What did you get him to eat/ what did his diet consist of?

TMM, thanks for the info on the australian CBB and Muelleri Butterfly. Ill definatly pry in that direction. Have you seen any Muelleri butterflys in your neck of the woods?? Or are they fairly rare?
    Your right about the 4 month thing, it seems almost everytime I see a new thread on these fish its dieing or doesnt seem to eat. Kind of a shame...

Thanks again to all for the great input, I think i will get one as I dont see myself removing all the aptaisia from my rocks and I plan to have an infestation of frags comming my way soon I wouldnt want to see any corals get damaged by the apt. Hopefully he'll live.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I completely lucked out and got liv's copper banded when he shut down his tank. The fish was quite healthy and used to being hand fed.

It's easily my favourite fish, I hand feed him frozen mysis every morning & he swims up to snag it out of my fingers.

He'll also eat marine plankton and pods. I never really had a lot of feather dusters in the tank and zippo for aptiasia. (I dealt with it all in my nano about a year ago.)

Tangs will easily out compete them for food. I add a 1/4 sheet of nori first thing in the morning, then soak some cyclopsese flake and what ever's on rotatation for the morning feeding.

I give the tangs & everyone else 5 minutes to eat before I even try to feed the copper banded. Then I hold a chunk of frozen mysis and he swims up & pecks off it until it melts enough to break up.

Once it starts breaking up, everyone else in the tank gets back into the feeding frenzy, but I've found it's greatly reduced if I feed the tangs first.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

try Joes juice, if you have an aptaisia problem the stuff works wonders.

Do not purchase a copperband that isn't taking frozen food. It will likely die.

I too think the copperband is a beautiful fish, and if I get past the featherduster/worm eating issue I may just get one someday.

Now if I could just get over the eating coral thing I could load up on some nice angels.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast