Something Special from "Down Under"

I thought I would share some of the incredible things I saw while I was on a business trip in Australia.

This is a lagoon full of gorgeous fish at the hotel. The guests swim with the fishes.

Here is a picture of a clown trigger at feeding time:

I was amazed that they let kids swim with these. They can really take a chunk out of you!

The other incredble thing I saw was at Seaworld on the "Gold Coast" of Australia.

It was night so I couldn't take pictures, but they had a big captive lagoon bigger than a football field. It had reef islans with table acros the size of real tables! I saw hammer corals and such that were 2 feet across. Each island had its share of reef fish including tangs, triggers, anthias, angels, and etc.

The area between the reef islands were patrolled by 10 foot sharks and giant stingrays. I wish I could have seen it in the daytime.

Let me try this new software again:

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Thats really nice Bill,
    You must of had a fantastic time.

I got to go there with the wife one day.Its now on my list of things to do...
    Now I have to stop writing things to do and start doing it lol...
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Very nice! I always wanted to go to Australia!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

I have been LOTS of places, but for me, Australia is hands-down the nicest place on earth. Safe, secure, very friendly, well-developed, but largely unspoiled.

The only down side I can find is that they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Bill

Thanks for sharing, I must admit Im envious!
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Smile

Just beautiful Bill. Is that the swimming area? How deep was it until you hit the reef area?

I think the downside is that it is so darn far away and not in driving distance.

What you see is actually the "kiddie pool". I must admit is is strange to see kids swimming with 14" clown triggers. The fish have a rocky area the go off to if the kids get too noisy. The beach slopes down gently to a max depth of about 5 feet. The kids snorkel over the rocky part to watch the fish. There isn't any coral in the kiddie pool. Strictly a FO system.

The big captive reefs are all over at Sea World. That tank is about 15' deep with underwater viewing areas. I couldn't find a technical person to talk to, but I think it is an open system with constant water exchange to adjacent South Pacific. You can't swim in that one. It has massive white sharks in the display.

The Barrier Reef is about 500 km north of this area. Aparently the water is still warm enough year round to support lots of stuff. I can't imagine what this hobby would be like in a place like that. Maybe we would all have reef ponds in our back yard!

WOW is all I can say!! Thanks for sharring!

Next time you go...tell me, I'm really small and I'm sure i could fit in a suitcase somewhere....lollll!
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Carol,
    You're tiny, but you're still tall!!!!!

Bill,
    I have family that lives a lot closer than you were to the Barrier reef and they have always been telling me I have to go down there one day!! I REEEALLY should.., ever since I have been into SW tanks and NOW especially since I'm really into diving!!!
    Also, trust me about how it would be living there with SW tanks as a hobby. I've been thinking about this all the time in Miami and it is A LOT less expensive there at least, with all that you can collect yourself ( rocks, corals, meybe fish.., too hard IMO to catch fish though), using sunlight, natural water etc... It's most probably the same in Australia.