Ever look inside the overflow?

I have my canopy off my tank for a couple of days to change a few things and I took a look down inside the overflow and it was pretty bad in there. There were lots of good things duch as sponges and different pods, however, there were two things I did not want to see. There was a good deal of hair algae growing on the dursa standpipe and the return pipe near the water surface. In addition to that, there were about 50 small aptasia. Anyway, I got rid of the aptasia and the hair algae.

Does anyone ever put anything inside the overflow to keep it clean? It would't be that hard to put something like an eggcrate strainer to prevent anything large going down the drain pipe.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Just check and clean the overflow chamber as part of your regular monthly or bi-monthly maintainence program. It really is a very important but often overlooked part of the system.
    Rob

I cant' agree more with OSD.
    The other night I noticed the water level in the tank was starting to touch the top middle bracket. I looked into the overflow....and there was a ton of macro-algae slowing down the water flow.
    Cleaned it out and the water level returned to normal.

It's definitely in my regular maintenance now!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I don't know about you guys, but, for me to add that to the regular maintenance would be a very difficult thing. My canopy is rather large and I can not get at the overflow without taking it off. I guess I will have to find a way.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman
    I don't know about you guys, but, for me to add that to the regular maintenance would be a very difficult thing. My canopy is rather large and I can not get at the overflow without taking it off. I guess I will have to find a way.
    Check it from time to time. I would rather remove my canopy and clean it along with my overflow box every other month then come home one day and find my sump dry and my tank overflowed onto the floor.
    Rob

One thing I did the other night (after cleaning out the overflow) was to place a black lid ontop of the overflow box. Without light, hopefully any algae won't grow as fast.
    The next month or so will tell if this works or not.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld