Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Overflow question on 400 Gal.

Has anyone ever seen/heard of having the overflow box on the outside of a tank? Basically what the manufacturer is saying is that they would cut a 2 inch deep groove along the top of the tank that was about 12 inches long and the water would flow over this into an external box and then through 2 bulkheads and down into the sump.
    This is supposed to be the way of the future and it eliminates all the gurgling from a large flow rate system. Also eliminates an ugly overflow box in the main tank.
    Any thoughts on this?
    I spoke to someone in Ottawa who has a 400 gal main tank and a 400 gal sump and when I asked him what he would do differently if he had to set it up again and this was one of the things he mentioned as well.
    Thanks
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Talking stig

yes yes and yes. That is exactly how I'm designing my tank! We should hook up for coffee. I'm ordering from mitch in April. I will be buying a disassemlbed tank as mine is a tad bigger than yours and won't fit down the stairs. I'm home friday after work if you would to drop by to see my plans.

Are you going with Euro bracing?
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.

eurobracing all the way! It will be drilled for 4 REEFRATS. and veiwed from both sides one being the laundry room and the other the family room. We should seriously get together and order together as I have to talk to you about IA and also there is another fellow who might also order a tank and if we do it together we could save a ton of coin. I'll pm you with my number.

Nice.
    ________

I just PM's you as well. Call me at work.
    You going starfire glass?
    ________

I'm the other guy that might be ordering it whom John is referring to. I am also looking at this option. There are a couple things which you WILL have to address for this way of installing an outside overflow. Firstoff, you might want to think about cutting out a U type section in the top of the glass. This will weaken it and place stress points in it. The ideal way to do it I was told it to just have that whole piece of glass cut shorter to where you would want the overflow height to be, then where the box will end, you simply silicone another strip of glass to raise the actual height of the tank. This strip would be hidden by the canopy or whatever you will have on the top. Another thimg you have to address is it will need some type of support under it. It wouldn't be a good idea to simply rely on the silicone holding the box in place. Remember once the box has water in it, it will have weight and be pushing down on the box.

I think that is what would happen. It would be a rectangular shaped piece of glass cut out. How deep would you go for the cut out? I guess you can always add a piece of acrylic to fine tune the level inside the tank.
    Good point about the support of the overflow box.
    ________

guys

There is 2 ways to skin a cat here. Gregs idea is to have the box on the out side of the side panel with that side panel being around 1 inch shorter than the main tank glass. This will alow eggcrate to be used as the teeth of the overflow. The overflow box does not need to be that deep as a matter of fact 6 to 8'' will be just fine as it will be the length of the side panel and the water will flow in just fine. You can go with an outside durso/stockman. But, just remember that you will have to allow for that cabinet/inside wall space to hide the flow. I will be doing something very similar but different. I will have the tank made a little longer and the short panel to the overflow box will be on the inside of the tank. It will also be a short box with the main side panel being drilled for 2x2'' bulkhead drains and 1 closed loop near the bottom. The other closed loop will be on the other side panel. I like it this way as I want equal glass all the way around for strength as there will be 3 holes in 1 side panel. The price of going for a 4 to 6'' longer tank with the short overflow panel on the inside of the tank is no different And I feel the integrill structure of the tank will not be compromised.Remember, If you go with the outside overflow box you will have your drains and possible closed loops[depending on design] relying on the strength of just the overflow box siliconed to the tank and not the tank itself! That would worry me.

overflow

upon further review and talking to Stig, both GREGS and STIGS idea of the box being on the outside with the shorter inside pane is a far better opption! The drains can be drill into the bottom of the box without the need of a durso but just a strainer. Also will not see any of this as it will be hidden. way to go guys! are dreams are coming closer.On that note! I just got off the phone with one of ottawas premier tank builders and he said all his large tanks are 1/2'' tempered with 0 problems for the last 20 years. This also makes up for the clarity issue as the glass is thinner with less green tint and therefore the price of STARPHIRE not being an issue. One of the reasons glass will fail is sometimes a MICRO bubble will form when making glass and this will become a weak/stress point. It will be here were the tank fails! when tempering glass,if there is a MICRO bubble it will explode in the overn therefore saving you the trouble. I in every 100 sheets will do this.If I was going to go with 3/4'' regular glass then the possible bubble could still be there not to mention more green tint due to thicker glass. As a side note all his tanks are built with steelframes as sometimes silicone will give even a bit and this could cause the whole sheet to flex to much[BAMO!] good by tank! Just talking with this experienced person I can tell he knows what he's talking about. My large tank can be built with steelframe for under $2500. I could only get the disassembled tank from mitch at that price. WARNING! This person also said that building your own tank at my size by myself is insanity and would undoubtedly fail at some point as theres more to building a tank than just silicone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast