CLick, CLick, CLick, CLick, CLick CLick,...CLick

There are 5 hitch hicker crab carcases at the bottom of my tank,.... My tangs tail has been chopped at several times and is ripped in a few spots,... Im hearing ALOT of CLicking. I spend alot of time looking at the tank but havent seen a mantis. Not even in the dark with a flash light. I even set a trap a while ago(baited with scalop) but nothing came of it. What would be the ideal bait? Who out there has caught one? What did you use?
    I realy want to get this thing before it eats all my crabs!!
    Any advice apreceated.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

ijo
    This is a tough one... it takes a while but you will more than likely have to find the rock the guy is hidding in. Once you figure this one out... remove the rock and try to find him(long nose tweezers work well)... if this doesn't work... pour some soda over the rock... this should make him move out rather quickly. HTH

IJO

Ok, Ill give that a try. Thanks for the tips.

If ur hearing clicky sounds.. tis possible that its pistol shrimps... but they're not THAT sgressive... so keep a look out for mantis...

as for bait to lure him... i would go with silversides?

a good way to check would be scout out possible hiding spots and wiggle the silverside near it to see if theres any strikes (with a tong!!)

Im prety sure its not a pistol. Ive heard of using silversides, where can I get them?

frozen food department at ur local petshop ought to carry them...

if not, u can also try like raw mussel peices from groceries

Chances are....if there is enough "clicking" that you would notice...you have a smashing mantis shrimp. The clicking is one of 2 reasons; he's making his home bigger (because he's getting bigger) or he found himself a snail to feed on. The best way I've found is to find these guys is to use a thin metal wire(you'll get it in the craft department at Walmart). Poke it into the holes in the rock that you figure he may be residing. If he's there...you'll know...he'll attack anything that tries to get in his home. Remove the rock....poke out the Mantis. These animals are awesome, each eye moves independant...each eye can view 180 degrees. They see colours the human eye is not capable of. Apparently, they have the best vision of any animal on the planet! They can survive in the shipment of Live Rock....Good luck!

I also have a mantis shrimp in my reef tank that I am presently trying to trap .

I plan on keeping the mantis in another tank once I catch him (show and tell for the next MASO meeting in Rockland hopefully).

It is amazing how quickly they can excavate a larger home for themselves inside the live rock. In the case of my mantis (possessive aren't I?), it was interesting to see little puffs of coral dust come out of the hole after each series of clicks.

They can also move a lot of substrate in a hurry if they want to. Not quite as effective as a pistol shrimp when it comes to burrowing under rock but in similar fashion they can get the job done quite quickly.

Also when he decides that he doesn't want someone coming in his front door he moves a shell into the opening to block it off.

Ron

Thanks Papafish, Ill have to try that out, Im deffinatly wearing gloves for this one

Thanks rockgarden, its nice to hear about these interesting animals. i unfortunatly havent seen mine yet, he must be terrified as ive stayed up quite late with a flash light and a knife to stab a few crabs. To him, Im the biggest mantis in the world I deffinatly want this guy alive, in the sump for now.

Rockgarden, check out this trap. I tried it with scallop as bait and it didnt go for it.Who knows you might get lucky.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ntisTrap.shtml