Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts

very unhappy anenome after feeding..

last night, i came home and my anenome was reaching across the tank further than i have ever seen it reach before. and today it was open and looking very happy and healthy. :biggrinbo i havent fed him for about 5 days so i though it might enjoy a bit of food. so i thawed a shrimp in a warm cup of water, broke it up into smaller peices, fed it too him and within 10 min he was about as shriveled up as when my tank lost the front seal and he had been sitting out of water for quite some time... :grr: he usually deflates a bit when i feed him, but nothing even remotely close to this. so i would imagine shrimp isnt what i should be feeding him anymore...

I took a pic last night as i had planned to post it just because i have never seen him reach so far, and i have a pic now, but i dont know how to shrink them as they are slightly too large. 112mb where as the max is 100mb.

I have a couple of thoughts on your question. Of course like all responses they start with more questions. What kind of shrimp are you using? Are they cooked or raw? Are you peeling the shell off of them first? When you say you are thawing them out in warm water, is the water from your tap? The shrimp are IMHO not the best food for anenomes as they generally eat fish in the wild. If you can get silversides its worth the additional cost. I saw an amazing difference in the growth and appearance of my anenomes when I switched to silversides. If you are using shrimp they should be raw and they should be peeled as the anenomes have no teeth and it is easier to digest and less likely to cut their stomach. I have also read in some threads on Reef Central that it is a good idea to cut a few slits in the shrimp and stuff a few marine food pellets inside the shrimp. I do this to supplement some of the predator fish that I feed shrimp. If you are thawing out the shrimp from your freezer, do it in a small bowl that containes water from your tank. The water from your taps will have chlorine and other less tan ideal contaminates soaking into the food.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    swiseman, thanks for the advise on the silversides. i think i will give them a shot from now on.
    "When you say you are thawing them out in warm water, is the water from your tap?"
    oh man, im a bone head today.. I just came home from a wedding and my piranha's just laid eggs today and in all the confusion i would put money on it that i got their glasses confused. i thaw out my shrimp for the anenome in tank water, but i do thaw out my shrimp for my piranha tank in tap water. as soon as i read that the neighbours heard a loud "dooohhh!!"
    well i hope he is ok!

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    oh and the shrimp that i used today are cooked although i usually do buy uncooked and i do always remove the tail. i break it off when its frozen. then i usually break in into smaller pieces to be sure it can eat it.

dollars to donuts its the ''cooked'' shrimp! its probally hard and tastless to the anenome.
    just let him chill, theres nothing else you can do anyways. if your tank is in great shape I wouldn't worry. I dug my anenome from his hole,put him in the sump for a week,removed my butterfly fish that was eating his tentacles, and put him right back into his same spot! he's just fine. silversides is a good suggestion, along with squid,shrimp,even scallop pieces. I think there diet might be more than just fish but I'm not sure. whatever gets ripped apart above them I guess??

if it is cooked, they don't liek that much.. man shrimp is expensive to feed... i recommend strips of fish or mussels or something

I wouldn't panic just yet. It could just be a purge that is unrelated to the shrimp or the tap water. Variety is the spice of life when it comes to feeding. It was probably incorrect of me to say that fish are their natural food. Its pretty much anything that gets stuck in the tenticles including clownfish poop. Just curious, is it a Sebae (Hectoractis Malu), or a Long Tenticle (Hectoractis Crispa). The bottom side and color look like a Sebae, however the tenticles look more like a LTA as I could not see any purple tips in the pictures. Which ever it is, it looks perfectly healthy.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    It is an LTA. his appearance has been improving quite steadily since this afternoon and he looks pretty well just fine once again. my lights are on a reduced schedule so he isnt very spread out so to speak, but it is looking a 1000x better.
    that most certainly is a mistake i will avoid again!

I will however pick up a variety of fish and scallops for him tomorrow afternoon so it can enjoy a more healthy diet. thanks for everybodys' help and 2 cents

Sorry so late Red, Im still drywalling my basement... heres your pics.

I agree with some of the previous posts....it most likely is the 'cooked' shrimp.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast