Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

peppermint shrimp

Hi guys.
    I got a question on pepermint shrimp......I used to have 3 of them,now only one.I have noticed that he is eating what ever kind of coral he feels like eating. gorgonian /polips/xenia/and some other. :grr: :grr: :grr: .......is there a possibility
    he will completely destroy all the corals I have........or I'am overreacting to his behaviour .
    are they reef friendly or not..........and what would be a good humane way on catching him. :grr:
    thanks.

I think once they have a taste for corals they won't stop. You could try baiting an inverted pop bottle. Cut the top off a 2L pop bottle and turn it around. Tape it back together and put some food in there and hopefully he will take the bait.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I put a few of them in my tank a while back to deal with an aptasia issue.
    They ate all the aptasia...then moved on to the frogspawn. They ate a bit, must have not liked it as they moved on to the candy cane. Ate half of it, and they haven't seem to touch anything else since....thank God.

If I get a chance to get them out, they're gone!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Man that bites
    they are so nice too

anyone ever had any problems with camel shrimp?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

My peppermint shrimp has not touched any corals to my knowledge. As far as getting it out all I need to do is put my hand in the tank and he will climb on it

Peppermint shrimp are "reef safe" and do not bother corals. Camel shimp are not "reef safe" and will most definately eat corals. Both look extremely similar and it is not uncommon for people to confuse the two.

thanks

I would like to catch him.but it will seem more of a mess in the tank,since I got lots of live rock........and certainly would like to get cleaner shrimps instead.
    thanks guys.

Peppermint shrimp generally are not reef safe. Camel shrimp are definetly not reef safe. I have heard that there are two types of peppermint shrimp that are almost identical and one type is safe and the other is not. Personally, I have NEVER seen any peppermint shrimp that would not eat seriatopora (birds nest) and stylophora (cat's paw).
    Maybe in a tank with softies and mushrooms, polyps etc they would be fine, but once they get hungry they will try many different types of coral.

Try baiting a fishnet and putting it in the tank or near where they hang out- after the lights have been off for an hour or so- I have had success catching them this way. They are more bold at night.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Quote Originally Posted by Houndog
    My peppermint shrimp has not touched any corals to my knowledge. As far as getting it out all I need to do is put my hand in the tank and he will climb on it
    Are you sure you're not thinking about a regular Cleaner shrimp ( also commonly called a Skunk shrimp)? These guys will almost always climb on your arm or hand when you put it in the water, but not a Camel or Pep shrimp. They are too shy and fast. I think these guys actually KNOW they're bad dudes and don't make it easy for you to catch them!!
    I have never kept any of these guys in my tank because they are indeed a potential problem waiting to happen.

Naa Toutouche,

He's talking about a peppermint. I've seen him in one of his tanks. Pretty cool looking little guys.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast