Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts

slug releasing white stuff question

I have a slug that came as a hitchhiker recently. he is black on top and has a small bit of what looks like a shell, but its almost flat. from the underisde he is perfectly white. he really moves across the glass and up to now i thought he was fine, and he may well still be but today a friend of mine noticed him perched in a high current area stretching out and releasing the small puffs of something white. i didnt have the camera at all handy so i couldnt get a pic and he is off in the rockwork somewhere but i will try and get a pic later of him. anyone know what he was doing?

Maybe he was sitting on the "throne". Or he just saw himself in the galss and got all excited or something. :blush:

Marking his territory?

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    i had wondered about the sitting on the throne possibility, i just wanted to be sure this wasnt some well know slug/event i shoud be avoiding

i think he is pretty neat to be honest, just want to be sure its not a bud little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by redbelly
    I have a slug that came as a hitchhiker recently. he is black on top and has a small bit of what looks like a shell, but its almost flat. from the underisde he is perfectly white. he really moves across the glass and up to now i thought he was fine, and he may well still be but today a friend of mine noticed him perched in a high current area stretching out and releasing the small puffs of something white. i didnt have the camera at all handy so i couldnt get a pic and he is off in the rockwork somewhere but i will try and get a pic later of him. anyone know what he was doing?
    Stomatella Varia spawning.

From http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSh...ella_varia.htm

Description:
    Stomatella look like a cross between a snail and slug. Their shell is fairly flat and inconspicuous compared to most snails. They are brownish green in color and seem to stay under about 3/4" in length. Stomatella can move very quickly for a snail.

Good or Bad?:
    Stomatella are good additions to the reef tank. They are herbivores and feed upon micro algae in the reef tank.

Notes:
    Stomatella are active day or night, but come out mostly at night and are fairly secretive during the day. A look at the tank walls after dark with a flashlight will usually spot this critters if they are present in the tank. They will reproduce in the reef tank, but don't seem to reach nuisance population levels. Breeding has been observed during the daytime with all individuals climbing up to high points on the live rock and simultaneously releasing their eggs and sperm into the water. This can cause the tank water to look milky for a short time, but is nothing to worry about. The filter feeders get to eat well when this occurs.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    hey thanks a bunch! thats him to a T. guess my feather dusters got a nice meal today then

Yup, nothing tastier for a duster then a little snail loving.

No probelm. :-)
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

ugh... must scratch out mental eye...
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Definetly Spawning! I have a bunch and they do this all the time! Freaked me out a little the first time too!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

cool, if u ever get more i'd love to study some

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast