Thread: xenia

xenia

just bought a pulsing xenia, from IJO. I kinda knew what the requirements were, what I don't want is for it it take over large areas in my tank. (its only a 60gal.) Some sites i've read suggest that you not place it on LR, because it's hard to get rid of once it takes hold.  Can i place it on the sand bed? how do you limit its growth? I like it, just don't want it all over. Any suggestions?

Re: xenia

Hi Salty Dog,

Pumping Xenia, being a somewhat delicate invert, needs the ideal reef environment to flourish and take over a tank (not saying yours isn't!). But generally I heard more people ask "How do I keep my pumping Xenia alive?"

Placing the Xenia on the sand would probably not be too good for it since it likes a solid, permanent surface to adhere to.

I wouldn't worry about it taking over your tank. If you really are, just use the same method that nature uses; place other corals in the area you don't want it to spread to and let 'em compete for space.

your post makes good  sense. Something agressive like hammer coral! Thnx.

I have pumping xenia growing like crazy...Just gave away a couple pieces.  I have isolated the rock that I have attached them to.  Any frags that want to wander, get attached by elastics until firmly fixed to the rock.  I find with Xenia, you  will either have no success, or you'll be like me and have it growing faster than you can get rid of it.  I keep my water at normal perameters, xenia are in a low current area of tank, under 400 watt MH and 3 VHO atinics.  (Furthest from the MH though).  

Good Luck.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!