Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red bugs

Red bugs

When you treated for red bugs, what was the dosage you used?(interceptor pills)
    Also how did you remove a desired acro crab (to save him)?

These bugs are TINY, look orangy red and are walking all over an acropora coral?!?!?!?!?

Unbelieveable! Only one head of Acropora and after 4 months of starring at it, out of the blue now, these bugs have appeared. Thats almost like catching an STD the first time you do it :crap:
    Well actualy the bugs are on 2 frags that I took from the main colony, and from what I see there arent any bugs on the main head. Though it is a little further to observe than the 2 frags which are close to front glass on the SB.

So ill probably want to dose my whole system,75 gallon tank, 25 gallon sump...

Thank you for sharing your experience with interceptor.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

sorry to hear you are having trouble.

I've dodged that bullet thus far but I'm sure it will happen some day.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

PAT!!!!
    That is extremely bad luck!! Sorry to hear that you must begin the battle of the bug.
    The dose for Interceptor- since I have dosed my tank more times than I can remember -is one pill treats 360 gallons of water (medium-large breeds). In your case, I'd probably go with 1/2 pill per dose- just to hit them hard. You must dose 3 to 4 times at 2 to 3 week intervals.
    HOWEVER!!!! I don't think that you should blast your system just yet. I have a few reasons for saying this:
    1- If I ever get off my but and send you corals, that would be a better time to dose- If needed.
    2- Interceptor will kill all acro crabs, 95% of shrimp (including any tiny crustacean in the shrimp family- mysids etc) and 95% of hermit crabs. Although there are no lasting detrimental effects to the tank as a whole, it definetly knocks out a whole level of life from a reef. Apparently that level of life will repopulate over time, but still, the stuff packs a punch.
    3- and probably most importantly, in your case, you only have one colony (plus the frags) of acro- which I assume can be removed and treated seperately.
    Acro bugs only live on specific types of acropora (I couldn't tell you which ones in particular) so if you can kill them off of your one acro, you will be fine. Get yourself a bottle of Seachem's reef dip, double the dosage recommended on the bottle and soak your coral in it for 20 minutes- in a bucket with a small air stone. You must remove the acro crab or the concentrated iodine in the Reef Dip will kill it. Use a tooth pick, or several to herd the little guy out of the acro and keep him in a small container until you put the acro back in the tank. Don't try to get him out with the colony hanging over the tank. You don't want some slime from the colony (maybe containing bugs or bug eggs) dripping back into the tank.
    This might very well take care of the problem. Red bugs never really leave the colony- only to travel to another colony of acropora. So if you kill them all on that one colony, there is a good (not 100%, but mayby 80%) chance that you will eradicate them.
    I think that this would be a prudent 1st step for you. If in 2 monthes, the bugs are back, at that time you can nuke'em.
    I assume you are doing extensive research on R.C. as well- maybe you will find people saying that certain wrasses will eat them- I'm skeptical, but you never know. Also there is supposed to be a pipefish that may eat them.
    Good Luck!! Let us know how you do!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Pat,
    I was able to get the acro crabs out by removing the coral and "helping" it out with a shish kabob stick. As Matt mentioned, do this over a container for the crab to plop into and not over the tank.
    The Pipefish is a Dragon face Pipefish, but it seems you'll have better luck if you have a few of tehm and even then, if the coral is moved to a smaller treatment tank with the pipefish in. People who have kept the Pipefish in their main tank have said they will only help control the population and not eradicate them. In otherwords, your corals might "always" stay stressed and not the prettiest looking.
    So far, no oine has had "real" luck using natural predators as far as eradication of the bugs.

Thanks for your concern Putz, surely the red bugs have just appeared and thankfully the frags dont even seem to be stressed. Still full polyp extension and full collor.

Thanks Matt for sharring your extensive knowlege with the red bugs I do agree that the BEST time to dose WILL be when you send me those corals
    Right now I dont have any hermits so Im not worried about that. I do have quite a few coraline eating hitchhicker crabs I wont mind getting rid of(they eat industrious amounts of coraline) there is surely a Mantis in my tank or it could be a pistol. Basicaly I dont realy mind if they go... Toothpicks eh,... good to know.

Will interceptor kill off all my pods?

I will try to do the reef dip treatment first since it will be ez. I might even dismount the main head to treat it seperatly as well while Im at it.

Ive looked into it on RC but from what Ive seen you and Tout are right about natural predators. I dont want to waste my time. Though id consider a dragon faced pipe fish just because they are quite cool looking

Thanks Tout, Ill try shish sticks along with tothpicks to get the crab out. and I wont do it right over the tank

Cheers guys.

Good luck!!
    the interceptor will kill some of your pods.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I have found that while yes the pod population will take a hit, in a mature stable system, they bounce back quite quickly and it will be like nothing happened in no time.
    This also gives you a catch 22 kind of feeling about the effectiveness of the Interceptor. This treatment is supposed to hit the same type of life as the pods, which are the acro bugs, and if the pods don't die off 100% and bounce back quickly, then why wouldn't the acro bugs too??!!!

Sorry to hear about the bugs bro. Good luck with the treatments.
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

Thanks for your concern Seahunter.

Tout, while my system isnt mature(old) because I got REALY good LR things are VERY alive in there. I have tones of pods and they have no real predators, hopefully things bounce back quickly.. Fingers crossed...

try to remove all your snails and crabs that you want to keep.
    don't hesitate! this needs to be done. you might just have noticed them but the bugs have been there for awhile. its not as scary as you think and your corals will look better fast! I probaly had them for a year or more until I started noticing corals that looked drab. when adding new stuff you can let them sit in the bag with interceptor or a QT tank before adding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast