Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash? No?

Crash? No?

I went away for three days, everything was looking good. When I got home EVERYTHING was covered in hair algae and brown goo... 2 of my snails died too. I tested the water and 0 phosphate, ammonia or nitrate. My ph is 8.0+ and my GH is 12... I turned the heat up from 71f to 75f last week, but i dont think thats it... what the heck is going on? My xenia still looks super happy, but my polyps are covered with algea

First, who or what was turning off your lights. Sometimes timers crap out. Whats your photoperiod?

Theres something feeding that algea, whats your feeding regimen? Whats your bioload?

If your using the 2 skimmers you mention in your profile, how are they working? Those are reknown for being crappy skimmers.What is your water change regimen?

Do you have biomedia (nitrate factory) in your fluval filter?

How/what are you using to test your water?

Sounds like some prety cold water, BRRRRR

Almost forgot, are you topping off with RODI?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I dont use the fluidized bed filter... And i'm not skimming right now. I have carbon, and cermaic in my fluval, and my timers are fine. I only have 2 damsels at the moment that only get fed 2x a week. My lights are on at 9 am and off at 7pm... dunno what else...

I have the fluval and 2 powerheads right now... one power head is on a timer that cycles every 15min or so

well, for 1!! why in gods name is your tank at 71f!!!! thats not even close to normal for a reef. 80 to 84f is close plus your CANADIAN so that should be around 27c to 29c :blah: also, why the creamic rings??? probaly holding crud in there causing issues. a change in temp could pretty much have caused this as the algea had a hard time growing thru the ice.

everything seemed fine at 71.... shrugs.
    The ceramic rings are after a coarse sponge, so all the crud is picked up there... no?

The sponge will get the really big pieces, but there is stuff that will get by the sponge and plug up the ceramic rings. I also believe canaster filters in a reef tank can create nitrate (or nitrite, can'r rember which one). It's also possible that your phosphates are at 0 because the algea 'ate' all the phosphates. Like Jonny said, it's possible the algea could grow in the colder water. Also anybody know if a +4F temp change would kill off any bacteria? I really don't think it would (my tank swingss more then that in the summer) but you never know.
    Adam

well 71-74 is what my tank has been at for a few YEARS now without a problem... I've only been using the canister for about 8 months tho. My nitrate and nitrite are undetectable... Maybe my tests are expired. I'll buy new ones and try again...

wether your tank was at that temp for years means nothing really. Its not ideal temps for a reef tank, not even close. there is LOTS of critters that won't do well at those low low temps and maybe not even reproduce. were talking stuff in the sandbed and possible the rocks. if, your doing a cold water salt tank then you need to study what you can keep in those temps. its very possible your tank can do WAY better at a normal reef temp and because you increased 4 degrees [why did you??] that sparked the natural algea bloom that everyone goes thru on a new tank. honestly, why were/are you keep your tank so cold? I believe snails also are temp sensitive and would probaly enjoy normal temps. what size of tank and what are you keeping in it?? P.S yes using a fluval with sponge and media is NOT realy used in reef tanks just for the fact they collect crud in the sponge fast! which isn't ideal.
    also, an algea bloom is not a tank crash, a ph,alk or ammonia spike that kills everything would be considered a crash.

eesh i've kept mine at 78 i'll go turn it up now...
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

could that be the reason that i've had such slow coraline growth?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast