Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how long does it take a new hammer frag to open

I got a new hammer coral frag, 2 heads, from ac and I acclimated it for 2 hours etc.. slowly adding water from the tank it's own water in a bucket.
    Anyway after 2 hours I put it in the tank in a crevice between some rocks.
    I added calcium, and other trace elements and well as phytoplankton to the thank.
    Anyway I was just wondering how long it takes for new frags to fully open.
    I have 2 65w daylights, 2 65w acitinics power compact lights with lunar leds.
    I just put it in 2 days ago. The ammonia is 0. I also added a buffer from seachem.
    I can see the polyps on 1 head but none on the other head.
    The polyps on the 1 head have come out a little furthur since I put it in but it is still not fully open.
    Any advice?
    asherah

hows the flow around the coral? low to medium at most.
    hold old is the tank? I don't like to add anything when adding new corals.
    we could use alot more info on how your tank is setup and whats in it right now. LPS usually open fairly fast

ok here's all the info I can think of for my tank =p
    I admit I don't knwo the nitrates or nitrates but all the fish are happy as be.
    I have a refugium being set up. Right now it has some spaghetti algae in it but I will be adding mineral mud as soon as it gets here.
    It's 44 gallon corner tank. glass, 80 degrees, 35lbs of base rock, looking to get live rock,
    4 ocellaris, 1 coral beauty, 1 green chromis,
    1/4 to 1/2 inche sand bottom - expecting live oolitic sand any day-
    2 65watt daylights, 2 65watt acitinic, 2 lunar lights power compacts,
    a filter is a whisper HOB waterfall bio filter
    umm what else ?......
    The tank sat with water and sand in it for a year before I added the base rock. It sat for a few more months before it got fish in it.
    After that with 2 fish in it the ammonia never went above 0.25 now it is less then 0.5.
    I just checked the flow where the hammer is and I coudl't feel anything so I'd have to say low to nil for flow.
    How do I hook up powerheads? or maybe i'll just get the corner wave2k
    asherah thanks alot !

okay wow, let me be the first to tell you that you shouldn't be adding ANY! coral yet.you basically have a fish only setup and even thats pushing it.
    you need live rock in there to seed your entire tank for filtration.
    you do not need live sand as the live rock will seed the sand and frankly I think buying ''live'' sand thats been sitting in a bag in a warehouse for god knows how long is a joke.and you shouldn't be puting new sand over an already established sand bed. it would kill any good bacteria in there and cause a cycle in your tank that would kill all.
    ''miracle mud'' another joke. your wasting your money.

heres what you need to do now,if you can,get someone to hold ALL your live stuff for now, put in your new sand if you already bought it,put some of that sand in your refugium if you'd like.[ cheato algea doesn't need sand by the way],get at least 40# of live like. let you tank cycle properly, test for ammonia/trates. [get the salifert kits]and be prepared to do water changes.
    ditch the hang on filter. after 1 month you should be read to roll. GO SLOW!
    saltwater is WAY different than fresh. your bound to go thru a few unwanted algea blooms so no use adding to many corals. stick to shrooms and maybe the odd LPS [depending on what it is] as your lighting is not for SPS. hope this helps.

how long ago did u lose the chromis? might be affecting the tank.

also, why 4 clowns? normaly thats not a good idea. a pair would be better. a coral beauty needs an established tank and lots of liverock to pick at.
    you should have 0 ammonia!!.

how do you frag a hammer?
    does it have to be fragged to a tonga?

i have 6 heads on my hammer, and there is an open stop for another is there a way to get some on the last space?

also what nutrient do they Really like?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

BRAM, I didn't understand a word ya said LOL :help:

branching hammer can be fragged by simply cutting one of the branches with snips or a hack saw.

channel hammer for the experts.

not sure what else your asking

ok ..well the reason I have 4 clowns is because I only had 1 and wanted another one..the guy at the lfs said I should take 3 so they don't pick on the newcomer...
    Besides they're cute =p lol
    I feed them a staple pellet food they gobble up. Spirulina and green sea veggies.
    I'm also a little confused.
    I posted earlier about adding live rock and sand to my tank and was told it would be fine if I bought cured rock...
    Everyone seems to be doing well.. they have grown and not lost any weight at all.
    1 of my clowns has hosted a rock lol ..it's pretty cute.
    also why is mineral mud a waste of money ?
    How else do you get live sand ? ...
    thanks alot
    asherah

well, ya got bad info from people.
    clowns grow up and become extremely territiorial! they'll kill each other until theres only a pair. [cruel].

also, live rock can be bought cured or uncured. in your case just buy some cured liverock. baserock has no beneficial bacteria for filtration and breaking down nitrates/nitrites.

what would be the reason you'd pay for mud is a better question it absolutly is NOT needed and is a ripoff IMO.

LIVEROCK will eventually seed your dead sand to become live sand for free :biggrinbo

so as it stands your tank is barely hanging on IMO and if you start adding corals and more stock it could crash fast!. the refugium is a great idea.

trust me, 2 clowns, skip the livesand,skip the mud,add the liverock,add the refugium.ditch the filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast