Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dead Cucumber Crashing My Tank.

:help: Got home from work tonight and my reek tank is in serious trouble. I had a large Pink Hot Dog cucumber that got sucked into a powerhead that fell down into the tank. Not sure how long its been as it fell down the back of the rocks. Some of the fish and corals are showing severe signs of distress. I just did my monthly waterchange and have no saltwater made up so I am off to the store to get as many jugs as I can of RO water and start mixing. The skimmer is going crazy right now. I will have the water change done in a few hours. Anything else I can and should do? I only found the problem as the powerhead was shreading the cucumber to pieces and shooting it throughout the tank. :errr: :bawling:
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Obviously, remove as much of the dead cucumber as you can. My recollection, is that toxins released by some cucumbers (apparently yours is one) effects fish only, not corals. Can you remove the fish?

Also, at this point I'd change out as much water as you can. I wouldn't worry to much about getting RO water either. Use tap water. Mix it up right away and do the water change. It may be cutting a few corners, and you may end up with some algae blooms out of it, but the alternative is a bunch of dead fish.

Do you have the ability to run carbon? Carbon will remove toxins from the water.

When Flame*Angel's cuke (black knobby) crashed her tank, the only fish that survived was one that had been moved constantly though a fresh batch of water. Recruit all your friends, get as much water as possible, run carbon if you can, but definitely get the fish out if at all possible.
    Good luck.

carbon carbon and water changes. that sucks bud. hope you weren't using suction cups? there a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    carbon carbon and water changes. that sucks bud. hope you weren't using suction cups? there a disaster waiting to happen.

Yes I was using suction cups. Unfortunately, with my canopy, there is no way to use the hanging clips. I will not be putting the powerhead back in. I guess this will expidite my purchase of the Tunze Streams. My only loss so far appears to be a mature Yellow Tang. He is in the QT tank now, but, he is crashed on the bottom. I proped him upright against some rocks and removed the hermit crabs as they started picking at him. I was able to remove the body of the Cuke as it was sucked in the powerhead and netted out the free floating debris. My guess is that the tang ate some of the Cuke as it was being shreaded and flying through the tank. I just finished mixing 25 gallons of fresh water and will be doing the change in a few minuites. I have also picked up some carbon and will run my crappy Fluval cannister for a few days. Damb thing leaks.

I have learned some valuable lessons from this. No powerheads without covers, just in case, and never allow yourself to run out of salt. I could have completed this emergency water change 3 hours ago.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Gee's I wish I was closer I could have helped. Sorry to here about the tank.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

The Yellow Tang is dead. All others appear to be fine. He must have eaten some. Water change is complete and I will run carbon for 24 hours. Does anyone have an opinion on weather or not I should do another water change tomorrow?

Hardware:

There's no harm in doing another water change. It'll help get rid of any lingering toxin.
    Sorry about your yellow tang. It sounds like you were right on top of the crisis, though

Everything is back to normal. Thanks to all for the emergency assistance. My only loss was a mature Yellow Tang. Could have been a whole lot worst. Ended up doing a 30 gal change followed by carbon for 24 and then a 20 gal change followed by fresh carbon for another 24 hours. My total system water is less than 80 gallons so I dare not do any more for fear of starting a cycle.

Hardware:

How big was the cucumber?
    i'm guessing large if it was able to almost crash your 110Gal

sorry to hear about the tang, but at least you got it under control
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast