Bringing Coral / Inverts / Fish into Canada

Does anyone know the policy about bringing Reef stuff into Canada from the US?
    Has anyone done it?

u best get the proper forms ready.. but unless is illeagal in one and not the other, i don't see too many problems...

ask customs!!

I'll have to write to Custom to get the scoupe. I'll keep a paper trail on this one.. Thanks for the input

Do a search for CITES on this site; this topic has had several previous discussions.

Hard corals and LR basically can not be brought in without a CITES certificate at both ends which costs $300+. Most aquarium fish are permitted to be imported. Other things (e.g. sponges, soft corals) get caught up in the restriction on life rock importation and thus are also banned. There is no exemption for tank raised stock. And getting caught trying to bring stuff in without permits is BAD with jail time, fines and confiscation of cars, etc.

In general, for the casual hobbyist, it's not worth the cost and hassle.
    Nick

Hey guys,
    what about dwarf seahorses. theyre fish but would they be alloud into canada? i would love to get some if i can.
    Melanie

Melanie:

Big Al's in Barrie has a few seahorses-real cuties.
    From what I heard they can be a challenge to keep as they are shy (easily bossed around) when it comes to feeding. I think that they would have to be sole occupants of a tank.
    I have a lot of Patients

Yep sole occupants and small tank, i doubt you could get that accross the border or would want to most seahoreses are covered by import laws
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

If you want seahorses, make sure you buy only captive-bred ones. They are much easier to feed and you won't be adding to the destruction of the wild seahorse population. Also, seahorses are listed on Appendix 2 of CITES (as of 2004) and so you couldn't bring them into Canada easily.

In Ottawa, Marinescape has several seahorse for sale at present.
    Nick

Thanks,
    i don't thinki will be trying to raise seahorses right away. i am curently in the process of setting my my very first marine tank. it will be a ten gallon reef tank. possibly with a clown fish. i believe most of the seahorses sold in canada arn't the dwarf ones. (they only grow up to two inches) so i figure once i have experience keeping this tank i shall eventually get a bigger tank that will fit the bigger horsies.
    Melanie