Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaking 1.5" Bulkhead (tried search already ) Please help!!

Hey,

Just filled my 29 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I have an DIY acrylic overflow and a 1.5" bulkhead with three gaskets like shown in this picture.

I hand tightened as much as I could but do not have a wrench to tighten it anymore. There is a very slow leak from the spot in the picture. Should I drain the tank half way and use teflon tape on the threaded portion of the bulkhead to fix this problem?? The leak is very slow and would not cause any major issues, I just prefer to have things not leaking and because I am a perfectionist.

Thanks,
    Matt

A leak is a leak is a leak....it needs to be stopped.

Check the rubber gasket on the inside of the glass...perhaps it is slightly damaged.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

The nut should be hand tight plus 1/3 to 1/2 a turn. You might need to find a strap wrench or a F type clamp to assist.

I would drain the tank below the bulkhead, and take the bulkhead apart. Make sure the overflow box and glass near the holes are smooth and free of burrs and major chips.

As a precaution, you could smear a little silicone on the gaskets. This serves two purposes, 1) it keeps the gaskets from wrinkling as you adjust and tighten the nut and 2) it helps fill in little blemishes that could cause leaks. You will have to be careful to to get any in the water and let it sit for several hours to a day to cure before adding the water back.

The nut on the bulkhead is only used to hold the flange against the gasket and the gasket against the tank. Adding teflon or silicone to the nut will only help keep the nut from seizing, it won't seal anything.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by cres
    As a precaution, you could smear a little silicone on the gaskets. This serves two purposes, 1) it keeps the gaskets from wrinkling as you adjust and tighten the nut and 2) it helps fill in little blemishes that could cause leaks. You will have to be careful to to get any in the water and let it sit for several hours to a day to cure before adding the water back.
    Had the same problem with my overflow. A little smear of silicone on the gaskets dryed-up the leak. hyeah: :clap2:
    Hardware: 50g drilled Starboard Reef,EuroReef CS6-2,Mag7 return,2xMJ1200 pwrhds,DIY 20G sump,200w EboJager,50 lbs Miyaki LR,Tunze top-up,AE Kalk-Reactor,RO-DI
    Lighting: 2x96W Corallife PC 10,000K + actinic
    Corals: Frogspawn, kenya tree, Green open brain, crocea clam, yellow toadstool leather, umbrella leather, zoanthids, caulastrea, orange montipora digitata, green star polyps, various mushrooms/ricordia
    Livestock: 2x false percs, 2x cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, scarlet hermit

TEFLON, you should ALWAYS use TEFLON when using threaded stuff. preferrable the pink stuff and lots of it. silicone shouldn't be needed in this case.

liv
    I used silicone when I installed my bulkhead on my previous tank, I put between the glass and bulkhead and around inside the tank and outside, then just tight that sucker up and remove the excess.. i know its overkill.. but i hate redoing the work when I don't have to.
    Johnny, whats the diff between the pink and the white teflon.. never seen the pink stuff yet. is it liquid ?

The pink stuff is thicker, if you can find it.

I've used the white stuff (me searches for pink ended with white stuff). I haven't had any leaks. I start at the small end of the tapered thread, around twice and then up the threads. This leaves 2-3 layers everywhere. Household plumbing or aquarium it does the trick.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

as CRES said,its thicker and I find it of better quality. also, NEVER use that liquid crap! my worst nightmare. while silicone seems to help I never use it as it doesn't stick to plastics/gaskets and gives one a false sense of sealedness [is that a word LOL]. if done right all bulkheads should never leak just by TEFLON and correct alinement.

thanks!

hey guys,

thanks for all the replies... the leak is fixed. i drained the tank half-way and used many layers of teflon tape and the repair is done.

thanks again.
    matt

You can find yellow teflon at HD, at least the one on Cyrville road in Ottawa, and the one on 10th line I believe.
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast