Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help quick

Help quick

My temp droped a lot last night and killed one of my fish. I think its because of the air mixing with the water from my overflow line. There is a lot of bubbles being produced. Its a 1" line. is there a way to reduce the amount of bubble without reducing the amount of flow? Like cutting holes in the pipe? I need a solution quick before my anemone kicks it

oh yeah.. i have 3 50w heaters running on it right now and i can't get the tank to 80. Its a 27g with about 14g in the sump

WOW you should easily get the heat up with that wattage and a tank that size tank. if all your heaters are close together they may heat each other up quick and shut each other off. Maybe spread them appart, one in the sump, 2 in the opposite ends of the tank

1 more powerful heater might help.

I know it seems like a stupid question but should always check the basics before you panic:
    Are your heaters working?
    are they plugged in?
    sometimes i forget to plug stuff back in if i've just move a buncha stuff around (last week i noticed that i had my UV STerilizer pump on but not the bulb, doh!)

You could probably put a sponge to reduce the air... and maybe increase the temp in your house. if thats the cause of it dropping down you might have to get a 4th heater.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

yeah they are all working.... its taking a really long time ... like 2 hours to raise the temp about 7 degrees. I am going to be getting another big one maybe 150 or 175w tomorrow but i don't want it to dip low again... my anemone is real stressed. I was running just one small one before i set up my sump so i'm assuming thats the reason it dipped so low. hopefully i'll get it fixed today some how.

You can put some warm water in bags to temporarly raise the temp. your lights will help except tonight it will drop again.

If you had 3 heaters in there and it still dropped then you probably need more power

I'm a little confused by your post?? you mentioned that you were only running 1 heater until you added the sump and you thought this might be the problem. are you saying you just added the sump like last night? and did you fill it with saltwater [non heated] and started it up? with the 3 heaters just placed in there? If so, yeh that would definatly drop your temp! it takes quite a bit of time to heat a body of water. the sump should have been at exactly the same temp as the tank. also, as mentioned make sure there not to close and theres GOOD! flow around them

i did adjust the temp to the same level in both.. and yes i did just add the sump last night....

i believe the problem was/is the amount of air mixing with the water and cooling it down... i will be getting a bigger heater tomorrow.. i've got the temp up to about 81 now so i'm happy.... hopefully my deflated anemone will recover quickly

okay, just asking. also, the amount of air shouldn't make a difference unless the room is like a fridge. the more air surface the better. its just very strange how your tank dropped 9 degress with 3 x 50watt heaters? maybe there no longer calibrated or something like that.

yeah hopefully i'll get it figured out.

thanks

For the bubbles, i would put an elbow with half taking air, half in the water. that way, you will be having less noise and less bubbles... I think its better to have a heater of 150W than 3 of 50W. Look for all the parameters as pH, salinity as anemone are quite sensible with big change
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Maybe put one of the heaters in your sump. That way it won't have to return to the tank to be heated up. If your correct it is losing its heat when it goes from the overflow to the sump and back, the heater in the sump will help.

as JR said it would have to be pretty cold in the room for it to drop overnight, maybe get a spaceheater if your worried about the air

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast