Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ottawa Tap Water

I was wondering if I could use Ottawa tap water in my tanks?
    Anyone do this? Any additives needed? ..or just add salt?

Ive been using RO/DI since day one, and Im just thinking that maybe I could switch to tap water. I was gonna try this using my nano first, but eventually do it with my show tank. The show tank contains a variety of soft corals as well as an anenome. Anything I should look out for?

Opinions? Experiences? Please Post!

TIA,
    happy reefin'
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Ottawa tap water isn't the worst tap water in Canada. It does contain cloramine (spelling?). You will need to add "de-cloramine" remover, otherwise it can take up to 7 days for it to evaporate on it's own.
    However, if you're presently using RO/DI water, why would you want to switch to tap water? Algae blooms is one concern.

My opinion, continue using RO/DI water. It's the right thing to do.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I asked about RO/DI at Marinescape on Carling in Ottawa, they said they don't use it and I don't need it.

do not switch, while ottawas water is not bad,.72 TDS, these stats can change when cleaning lines [spring and fall] also, algea blooms are a concern.
    I realize that MARINESCAPE do not want to use this [$$$$] because tehy have to replace alot of water becaus ethey sell stuff and use lots of water so there basically doing constant water changes and don't run into the same issues that a show tank would. fish only no problem, softy's maybe but once you start building a reef setup it is good to have great water. some sensitive corals and fish [angels] like pristine waters.

Option: Tap water is fine. I used to take water right out of the tap and put in the tank, then I saw the suggestion to let it sit for a week before putting it in the tank, I followed that advice and have seen no difference since. I don't find I have much of a algae issue. Normal amount. If you are tring to save money in my option tap water is fine, make sure it's room temp, and if your paranoid about loosing stuff, let it sit for a week. This is only my option.

Option: Opinions It's early, can't spell!!!!

sorry but I couldn't disagree more on this subject.chloramine does NOT break down like chlorine by sitting in a pail. it will slowly build up in a tank unless your running a TON of charcoal. also, other heavy metals will build up in your tank [rock/sand] over time and you WILL have issues especially with inverts and corals. I noticed that you had lost a lot of fish in the past, this could very well be the reason. I've ran both types of water and there is a difference, it might not rear its ugly head for a year or maybe 2 but it will!! TDS is TDS and if its in the water its in your tank. you can run a FO with maybe a few hardy corals with ''treated'' tap water but IMO you'll still start getting algea outbreaks over time. this is not an oppion. but a well known fact!

sorry I disagree greatly with WENDI'S comment TDS is TDS and it will build up in your tank [rock/sand] over time. chloramine needs to be treated and won't disappear sitting there like chlorine.
    you can get away with treated tap water with certain corals [very few] and fish [some are sensitive and need pristine water] but I'd setup an RO/DI unit.
    over time you WILL have algea/water issues. I've seen the OTTAWA water report and theres enough heavy metals and crap that will go into your system and build. I've done both types of systems. using straight tap water even when sitting there can kill some sensitive fish like tangs and angels IMO.

Absolutely!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

hum, thanks for the reply's. I was really looking forward to hearing from the people that have used tap water for their tanks for a couple years or more. I do use RO/DI water currently, but I last night I mixed up a couple gallons of tap to use on my nano as an experiment.

I have seen people in Ottawa and Gatinuea area that use tap water in their tanks and their systems look fine to me. This is what originally sparked my interest. Then I thought maybe I could do this too, since its simpler, more convienent and cheaper.

Anyone been using tap for a long time? More comments?

TIA,
    happy reefin'
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast