Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSB decisions!

DSB decisions!

Hey all, i was wondering people's opionions on this.

i don't like having a deep sand bed in my display, i prefer maybe 2-3 inches of pristine white sand, thus lots of sand sifters to keep gravel clean.

this has been dismissed as bad thing to do because I would be killing all the nice animals in the sandbed that are benefitial.

so my plan is to have the fuge containing the DSB, maybe 5-6 inchs, and keep a think bed in the main display. but some would argue that this is not enough

i wonder if this is a better idea or would it be better to have display with DSB as well.

I like to keep my sand in a fuge. You have to make sure it is big though.

Simple things like big Rubbermaid stock tanks will hold lots of sand and macro for very little money.

I'm always afrid of those things giving out on me... i might try a preformed pond liner as a fuge/frag growing thing... that'd be nice!

I have seen quite a lot of tank having succes with DSB, but then again, i think you have to go slowlier than having a BB since you need the sand bed to get mature enough to hold the bioload. I might be wrong

I am also thinking putting a refugium in my tank and be able to keep a few anthias as my last fishes in the reef. I will go for a DSB or plenum, still havet make a choice but i think its a good idea to go DSB in the fuge.
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Ive been in the process of removing the shallow sand bed in my main display. I have one in my fuge already. To me the idea of having REALY high flow and skimming wet sounds like a realy great way to have NO accumulation of nutrients which seems to be a BIG battle to deal with using a DSB.

Bvoss, what major differences are you noticing running your system BB? Asuming you used to run a DSB in your main display.

Thanks for starting this thread Ricepicker, its a good one!
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Banned
    I prefer a 8" DSB in the sump and a 1" SSB in the dt. Eventually a DSB will fill with fine particulate matter (may take quite a few years), or crash altogether, and need to be removed. If the DSB is in a separate tank then the fuge or an insert in the sump/fuge tank it can be removed easily. Also, the bigger the DSB area the better.

It is too early to tell, but I like bare-bottom better at this point. I can use much more flow. More of the waste makes it to the skimmer. I don't have my remote DSB running yet, but it will be 2X3 feet and 6" deep. I think the combination is the way to go.

I personally love the looks of a DSB and its creatures. a BB tank is also cool but you need at leats a remote sandbed because a MAJOR portion of the filtration takes place in the sand. I do not believe a properly setup/maintaned sandbed crashes a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    I personally love the looks of a DSB and its creatures. a BB tank is also cool but you need at leats a remote sandbed because a MAJOR portion of the filtration takes place in the sand. I do not believe a properly setup/maintaned sandbed crashes a tank.
    Johnny Rock,

What do you consider to be a properly setup/maintained sandbed? I currently have a 3"+ sandbed that is aproximately 8 years old (purchased from a LFS closing out sale). It has been moved three times in the past 3 years including the transfer to the larger tank in the spring of 05. It was completely removed and re-setup in the new tank. I have about 50 blue leg hermits, 4 Cerith snails, 2 Olive snails, 40 Astrea, and a Pistol Shrimp and Yellow Watchman Goby. Do you think I should get a large order of sand sifting snails to improve the long term life of the bed? If so, what kind? When I set up the tank this time I placed a 1/2" layer on the bottom and then made a grid of base rocks before covering them with the remainder of the live sand. I then built my live rock structures on top of that. This way the shrimp and goby could tunnel all over the tank and never cause a rock slide. I am currently going through a small cycle in my tank as I had to replace almost all of the water after a dead cucumber incident and I want to make sure I have everything in the sandbed that should be there.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Bvoss, how long have you been running BB now? Do you not have a dsb in your huge fuge? Wouldnt a fuge be an ideal place to have a remote dsb? Or were you planning to have it seperate from fuge?

JR. I too like the look of a DSB but some people that see good results from REALY HIGH FLOW in SPS tanks are changing my mind about having the prety sand bed in my display. Thats why Im sumping it. Let alone if you have to do something to it, siphon, remove, etc. Much eazier to deal with out of the display.

Tell me what you guys think, surely this has been done,?? but I was thinking that having ALL overflow from your display gravity feeding to your skimmer before entering the sump/fuge would be a great way to keep it clean? Has this been experimented?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast