Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

just bought... have some questions

Just bought a 180 tank a it's drilled but don't like the placement is there a way to close the hole i was thinking of maybe put a larger piece of glass whit lots of silicon or was thinking of maybe us it for a closed loop but it's a 2 inch bulkhead and i have the sand that was in the tank in buckets will i have to wash it or something need advice .
    thanks rick

I can't really comment on the sand but for the hole, i'd just put a cap in the bulkhead. It's the fastest and it will always be there for "future consideration". Actually I might be right in saying if your going to start from scratch you probably wouldn't need to wash the sand because your tank is going to cycle. But if your going to try to use that sand, put water in and then fish the next night i'd say throw the sand out and get new stuff. (Actually I wouldn't do that anyway!!) Let your tank go through a cycle. I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

You can plug the hole with a threaded plug in a bulkhead. This leaves it available for use later. You can also use a piece of glass with silicone (others have), but, it won't be nearly as pretty.

Is it horribly wrong placement, or just not quite what you wanted?

You should probably rince the sand well or dispose of it, unless you know how long it was used and know it was well worked by critters.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

The guys above this post have the right idea. install or keep the current bulkheads and "cap" them.
    Any time I buy a tank from someone that dose or dose not include the sand and decor I sterilize EVERYTHING and start from scratch. I would hate to start questioning the past if an issue arises in the future.
    Rob

Not to take over the thred guys but I have a quetion here. I just got a 90 gallon and when I added the sand everything is cloudy. How would I make this cloudiness go away? I've been running a Fluval 304 for a day now and it's just not clearing up. I have also been running the pump from the sump in hopes that will speed things up. Any suggestions guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Gkilla
    Not to take over the thred guys but I have a quetion here. I just got a 90 gallon and when I added the sand everything is cloudy. How would I make this cloudiness go away? I've been running a Fluval 304 for a day now and it's just not clearing up. I have also been running the pump from the sump in hopes that will speed things up. Any suggestions guys?
    Remove the fluval and give the tank time to cycle. 3 to 4 months
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

3 to 4 months!! must be a typo? 3 to 4 weeks maybe. also, 1 day is not long to wait for the cloud to disappear. wait a few more days. the bacteria will weigh the sand particles down eventually. you can buy some stuff from KENTS I believe that will bind to particles and clear it out fast.only good for new tank setups and NOT recommended for established reefs.

I remember my 65 took at least 2 or 3 days to clear up!
    180G - Reef
    29G - Goldfish

My 150g took almost a week.
    I can't image how long it too for Johnny's tank.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

actually due to the large water volume I really had 0 cycle time as I added slowly but the silt well thats a different story. took about a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast