Sump and microbubbles

Hey guys,

I 'm having a problem with microbubbles in my tank. I have a sump designed exactly like the one found here: http://www.melevsreef.com/sump.html expect the first baffle on the fuge side is touching the ground and the last baffle is off the ground 1". Should I try to rig up some sort of a baffle to make the water flow under it and then over the first baffle?

but seem to be geting a tremendous amount of microbubbles in my display tank. I have a 1" pipe running from the overflow into the corner and can see the bubbles making there way through the holes and over the baffles. In the link he just has his straight to the bottom of the corner baffle. And i've tried a few different things and nothing seems to work. What do you guys do?

Is there anyway to stop the amount of microbubbles getting into the water? I've read something about a plumbers loop but couldn't find any other info on it except for the name.

Thanks

Two things you can try:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...t=bubble+tower
    Also from Melev, a bubble tower to trap bubbles. In the thread he mentions making it out of a larger pipe, but, with the same basic design.

Less flow through the sump. Baffles only work if the water doesn't carry the bubbles through them.

You can add a tee above the pump, then a valve and a return to the pump section of the sump to reduce the flow of the pump without loading it. I don't know if this is the "plumber's loop" you referred too.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

CRES beat me to it, flow is to quick thru the sump, [to big of a return pump] IMO and no amount of baffles will realy stop this

yeah i think i must have to much flow... the flow is changing every 10 -12 seconds... i should reduce that by about half. I'm also gonna try to make some sort of bubble tower... i had one using a Seaclone (finally a good use for one) where i've taken all the insides out and drilled holes in the bottom....

do u think i could use crushed coral in combination with LR rubble? I dont have enough lr rubble to strech up the 14"

how new is the tank/water??

I find that new water is very prone to bubbles. I have a a 40gal breeder, with a mag12 return pump going through a 15gal sump. It had been running for a long time, with no bubbles. I setup another tank next to it (frags) and put 40 gals of new water in the new tank. I tee'd of the return line, and ran another hose to the sump. I turned on the pump, and now it is bubble city in my 40gal breeder. It is getting half the flow that it was befor, but producing mad bubbles. I find as the water matures they go away.

the tank has been set up for many months but i do water changes every week or so plus all the water from the sump would have been new water. I can't imagine that it would be good to have water that doesn't form bubbles anymore. I would think it was to stagnent.

your gonna get bubbles from your overflow regardless because of the fall, its how fast the pump is pulling from the sump and sump size. you could build a trap as CRES mentioned but chances are it won't help. what size,sump,tank,pump and overflows are you running?

Heres the DIY bubble tower I made today. It is a gutted Seaclone with some liverock rubble.

Here is the sump. There is a Aquaclear 801 as the return pump. I have a SQWD attached and its changing direction about every 18-20 seconds which gives me about 120gph. There is the 2 heaters 50w and 100w. There is two different types of macro which i'm hoping will help with the algae problem.

Here is the whole setup.. you can see what i mean by the water being cloudy.. i know some of it is due to me stirring up the tank with different flows plus all the algae probably isn't helping. I am going to be getting more of a cleanup crew this week. Any cowries you'd recommend to help sift the sand?

I use to have problems with bubbles from my skimmer, i placed a filter sponge on the output and it worked out well.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

yeah i know that would work but i know i won't be able to clean it everyday and it will become a nitrate factory