Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

coral plate coloration

this is the coral when I first got it :

and this is after a 6 months :

my question is : can I restore the coral to the original pink?

i ran 1 bulb 20k MH fixture for 8-9 hrs a day; the coral is on the sand bed in direct light; distance about 30 inches from the light source

PS after reading this I guess it's because too much lightning ??!?! :help:

any help or advice will make me happy ; i do not know about you, but me does not like brown corals in my tank :bawling:

it looks beter in the second pic to me. more polyp extension
    33g tank
    60 pounds of lr
    1 clown
    1 black harbour goby

75g in the works

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dub
    it looks beter in the second pic to me. more polyp extension
    it grew a lot, i feed him 1-2 times per week.... it is so cool and looks good
    the problem is the color; it was pink, now is brown; it is reversible? can i help it regain the pink color again? this is my problem

I have the same pink one and it also turned to brown colour after few months in my tank under 175w 10k halide. It almost die on me and came back to life after sprouting out several babies.

Quote Originally Posted by clown_fish
    I have the same pink one and it also turned to brown colour after few months in my tank under 175w 10k halide. It almost die on me and came back to life after sprouting out several babies.
    mine is a 150w 20k halide; so if I switch to 10k it`s gonna be the same brown color :errr:

ahhh...why? is it something we are missing overhere? how come it was pink at the store? hmmm ...

the color is coming from the zoothanthellae so i'm gonna assume the coral expelled its algae for some reason, and they moved onto other corals, or because u feed it regularly he has no need for algae? that more unlikely though...

try not feeding it for a few weeks see if theres any changes?

i have a cabbage coral that is turning green because algae from other corals is moving onto it... kinda neat

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    the color is coming from the zoothanthellae so i'm gonna assume the coral expelled its algae for some reason, and they moved onto other corals, or because u feed it regularly he has no need for algae? that more unlikely though...

try not feeding it for a few weeks see if theres any changes?

i have a cabbage coral that is turning green because algae from other corals is moving onto it... kinda neat

ok..I will try
    I will also move it to a not-so-well-lit place in my aquarium, if I can find one

PS: i have 2 colonis of zoas, small ones; those r my only corals

I actually think there may not be enough light. Your coral maybe turning brown because it has shed it's colouration to let more light reach it's brown zooxanthellae. To my understanding, Zooxanthellae is usually shed in high light situations because it's not needed. Too much 'food' production can actually be toxic. Colour pigments are also created in high light conditions to protect the coral from UV, hence people who say the phrase 'colouring up under strong MH lighting.'

In the absence of 'abundant light' or stress, the coral may revert back to it's natural 'safe mode' which is generally brown for many corals. A 150W MH at 30" is not very much par especially at 20000k. I'm not knocking your lighting system, but if you plan to get other types of hard corals like acros, you might run into the same problem.
    George

yes 150w at 30'' is not much at all IMO. I have 400w at 34'' plus a bunch of actinics.

will it help if i'll change the bulb to 10k and lower my light like 5 inches more ?
    worth a try; a 10k bulb has higher PAR than a 20k

interesting, thank you guys

this is from live aquaria but i have difficulties understanding:

"Color change due to light intensity
    A coral has the ability to adapt to different intensities of light. A coral contains symbiotic chlorophyll-containing cells called zooxanthellae cells. The coral provides these cells with protection, and in turn, these cells provide the coral with nutrients as a result of photosynthesis. The numbers of zooxanthellae cells and amount of chlorophyll vary in response to light intensity so that the coral continues to receive the necessary nutrients.

If the lighting is more intense than the coral is accustomed to, either some zooxanthellae cells will be expelled from the coral, or the amount of chlorophyll within those cells will be reduced. Having an excess number of these cells in a brightly lit situation can be dangerous to a coral because the zooxanthellae cells can produce too much oxygen. Oxygen at high concentrations can become toxic to the coral.

On the other hand, if the intensity of light is lower than what the coral usually receives, the zooxanthellae cells will not be able to provide the necessary nutrients through photosynthesis. In this case, the number of zooxanthellae cells will increase as well as the amount of chlorophyll within those cells.

The resulting color change of a coral in response to different light intensities is due to the concentration of both the zooxanthellae cells and the amount of chlorophyll present within those cells. The color of these cells ranges from a golden-yellow to brown. The higher the concentration of these cells within the coral, the more the coral will take on a brown appearance. In other words, if the lighting is less intense than the coral is accustomed to, it will take on a darker brown appearance. On the other hand, when the same coral is placed under intense lighting, some of the zooxanthellae cells will be expelled and the amount of chlorophyll reduced, giving the coral a lighter appearance.
    "

PS. guess you two guys are on the right track; not enough light; i'll see what i can do; any ideas what can I do?

if i remember right, the store had those corals in a long aquarium, but no so high; maybe 10-12 inches from the light; and the colors were bright pink .. he he he

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast