Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"cooking" live rock

Does anyone on this site have experiance "cooking" live rock?

I am still having trouble with bryopsis. I have...decreased my photoperiod to 6 hrs (440 watt VHO) and am feeding only every other day small amounts. I have purchased a yellow tang a lawnmower blenny and 5 sea hare slugs. It is still growing! :angry5:

I am coming to the end of my rope. I am thinking about tearing it down and perhaps "cooking" the LR. I hate to go this way cause I love looking at my tank but the algae is taking over.

I wish I would have known what bryopsis is as a newbie...as soon as I saw the first tuft I would have thrown the rock away!!

ANY advice is appreciated.

Ray

How long has the tank been setup ?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I "cooked" my live rock from my old 15 gal tank.. WHat I did was placed all the rock (about 20 pounds) in a dark rubbermaid container and turned on 2 power heads on each side of the container and placed the lid on it with a heater. Thing you have to remember is to keep doing water changes that the live rock is in when doing that water change keep another bucked full with salt water and dip the rock into the clean water to get anything off the rock.

You'll probably have to change the water 2 times per week and will take at least 1-2 months. Worked for me.

Good luck.

A few options, Hope they help.

Skim like you’ve never skimmed before:
    When my tanks are about half way through the algae cycle, hair algae always come about half way for me.
    by skilling and removing the nutrients it can't grow as well.

If the hair algae is thick enough that you can grab hunks, do so and take it right out. i know it seems like an endless battle but it really does help.

Scrape as much off glass (if it is growing there usually the worse place for me) and net it

Macro algae:
    I've noticed that even having it float around the tank will help remove and reduce algae, it is also easier to remove when your done.

Change the food your feeding and reduce. I don't know exactly what fish you have in there but a yellow tang and a lawnmover should be fine almost fine if you don't feed. yellow tangs are often praised for their algae control but i personally would go with something else. i would say the same thing with slugs too. Snails seem to be the preference, but so do urchins. (probably cheaper and they will get your rocks too)

Side Note: (I've noticed when people feed their tangs lettuce, they have algae problems, Lettuce is a leaf plant and is fertilized primarly with Nitrogen, used to promote leaf growth the fertilizer may not be completely washed off and created an 'algae bloom')

Change temperature.
    I can't specifically remember what temprature Hair algae thrives at but i would guess it is in the warmer side of things. (so maybe adjust the temp down a few degrees??)

My guess is that it would affect the lifecycle, perhapse long enough for your clean up crew to get it under control???

Good luck!
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

The tank was set up in march, last year. The Hair algea is gone...all I have left is tonnes of Bryopsis (looks like a small fern). I also have tonnes of snails, hermit crabs. I have been pulling tufts of algae out now for probably 2 months every other or third day. I have removed rocks and scrubbed them down in salt water in a bucket and put them back in. IT JUST KEEPS GROWING! I also have a sump with chaetomorphia in it and I skim constantly with a AC620 skimmer. I have been reading endlessly to find out what might eat this stuff but to know avail. I am coming to the end of my algae picking lifespan...too many hours spent contorted and hunched over the tank...

I also have the temp set a little low at about 74 degrees is that about right for to slow down tha algae?

Check out your phosphates and see where they are. I would think that could be something that your importing from your water changes.

Your phosphates level will feed that terrible weed. I know as I am going through the same thing.

At least there is some color in the tank :rant:
    The Zoo Keeper
    Favorite Quote
    For all at last return to the sea- to Oceanus, the ocean river, like the ever-flowing stream of time, the beginning and the end.- Rachel Carson, 'The Sea Around Us', 1950

I have checked the phosphates and they don't register on the Salifert test kits. I am running rhowaphos just in case...

What do people think about my photoperiod of 6 hrs with 440 watt VHO over a 77 gal. I have a few corals that I do not want to deprive too much...colt, frogspawn, hammerhead, bubble and some shrooms, zoo's.

I appreciate all the advice....

Just looking for something I may have missed...

Magic bullet anyone

What other fish do you have in there?

I still think hair algae it is a nutrient problem.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

What is your lighting and photoperiod over the sump? You could always increase and lengthen the lighting and photoperiod in there to give the cheato more of a boost.
    You could also run some carbon as well as the Rowaphos. Carbon does a nice job at pulling out some nutrients as well.
    I wouldn't go lower on the photoperiod in the main tank. And unfortunatley no one really eats that bryopsis, so manual removal is the best way.
    Don't forget to harvest some algea from your fuge on occaision. This is how you actually remove the stored nutrients in the algea from the system.
    Make sure the skimmer is wet skimming. Wet skimming is more efficient at removing waste.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast