Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is going on with my refuge?

Well this has been on my system from the beginning. There are lots of worms and cocopods (spelling?). On Saturday i remove a bunch of the algea. It had really grown alot. A few days ago i started noticing black specks on the top of the sand. Last night i noticed that the top few mm had turned black.

Is this normal?

Smile

are you ''pulling'' algea out of the sand bed?? not good if you are. what is happening is that those spots died so to speak because you disturbed sections of aerobic and anaerobic bacterias. you also probaly released built up nitrogens and nutrients. thats why cheato [spelling?] spagetti algea is best as its not attached to the supstrate.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I personally think that your sandbed is fine Joseph. It just looks like it's maturing.
    If you look at most pics on the web of mature tanks with deep sandbeds, you'll notice that most have developed colors in the substrate.

So if anything, it's just that your sandbed is maturing. IMO.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

yes if your NOT pulling stuff out of the sand bed then its maturing as VInce stated. :wink5:

Well the stuff i have is from Gregs refuge. What i did was gently pull then i used scissors and cut. I have allot of LR in there. So the algae if anything was on the LR and not the Sand bed.

Well, I just got off the phone with Joseph.
    The algae he has is the Chaeto ( Spaghetti) that I used to have .., free floating stuff. I think he pulled out too much in one shot and since he wasn't trimming it regularly, it was a little shock to the refuge as far as filtering capacity goes. He's going to trim it more regularly and not as much of it each time.
    Joseph, as I mentioned to you, just sit back and watch it go away on it's own. If not, then let us know.
    The cukes I was mentioning are the Holothuria type.

Well i don't know what is happening to my refuge. I now have what looks like a film of white about 4" above the sand. I also noticed dead worms on top of the sand and dead copods(?) It is even right across the refuge. Has anyone ever experienced this. i will be taking it of line and doing a water change to refuge alone.

How's your water flow through the fuge.
    To me, that looks like it's turning into a swamp.

I never really measured how many GPH but it slow.
    I just changed a good 40% of the water in there. I siphoned the water from the bottom close to the sand. I smelled like rotten eggs. I hope this water change will help. I will also stick a powerhead in the refuge for extra flow.

Bonaqua,
    A refuge "should" have a very slow flow through it. The macros in there need enough time to absorb from the water passing through enough to filter the water. Otherwise the water would just be sweeping pass the macros without them absorbing much.
    A refuge is not supposed to look all neat and clean. It's a place for macros and all kinds of critters to grow and "hide" in the mass of growth in it.

Jospeh,
    It's hard to see from these pics. I know you have mostly Spaghetti macro in there which is good because it doesn't go sexual or any other bad thing. But it's also possible you have some other types which are indeed Caulerpa type macros mixed in and I would bet it went sexual from the stress of you pruning it back. If it's not used to you trimming it and then you suddeny trim it, it will release spores into the water which with Caulerpa will turm the water a milky color. As I told you, since the white cloud seems to be heavier and stays near the bottom, take the fuge offline and do a partial water change by siphoning water from below so as to get most of the tainted water. Then put it back online. I'm willing to bet hardly any of it got into your main system, since your water goes over an overflow to drain back into the tank.
    That rotten egg smell is usually the smell from a dead sandbed. You also mentioned you were getting black on the sand and noticed patches of black "in" the sand. While having small amounts of this is often normal, more of it is not. I think you should reseed your sandbed in there and also get some critters to help stir the top of the sand and help process it more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast