Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member cdn beaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    169

    Mushrooms and Glue

    Can somebody please walk me through, step by step, how to attach mushrooms to a large rock?

    Thanks
    Cheers,
    Mark

    Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,370
    best bet is to put them in your sump or lowflow area.in a container with small rock rubble or shells. tie some mesh over top the container and let them attach themselves, then you can attach the shells/rubble to the big rock.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ricepicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,703
    lol i got so confused when i read the title... i was like "you can do that!?", but ya like rock said... try using the bottom 3/4 of an inch of an plastic container, fill it with coral rubble and put the frag in there, making sure all frags have a bit of the central disk... then cover it with mesh and rubber band it

  4. #4
    Senior Member DuuhMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    658
    Don't some people actually glue them on? I swore I read that on the
    WEEEEEEEB. hyeah:

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Senior Member rockgarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    159
    I've never met a mushroom that liked direct contact with glue. Using the method Johnny described above, you end up gluing the little shell or the little rock to the bigger rock. The mushroom itself is not in contact with the glue.


    Ron

  6. #6
    Moderator mike536's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,782
    I've glued them on before with no ill effects. Might have just gotten lucky!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

  7. #7
    Senior Member Xman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    149
    I've tried using that ZapGel to attach mushrooms but I find it dosen't hold to the mushroom that well. Letting the mushroom attatch itself is much better

  8. #8
    Moderator cres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,963
    If you use glue, the trick is to glue a small area and not the entire contact area. Where the glue touches will likely die and the mushroom will need to grow around that area and attach. If you glue too much, it will float away before it grows enough to attach.

    I've used a toothpick through the mushroom into a hole in the rockwork with about 75% success (the other 25% were likely getting too much current to attach).

    Elastic bands and fishing line work too, but, if either are too tight, you will end up with two smaller mushrooms that might float away.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Similar Threads

  1. LF Glue
    By jimskoi in forum DIY - Do it Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-17-2006, 12:14 AM
  2. Crazy Glue Gel
    By sean_w_mcgrath in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 12:59 AM
  3. Krazy Glue!!
    By dermp in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 04:56 AM
  4. glue for PVC
    By zeke in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:56 PM
  5. abs glue
    By lotus02 in forum DIY - Do it Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 05:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •