Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tank controllers and their software.

I was wondering how many of you use controllers. More specifically ones that have PC software associated with them. Does anyone use anything other than an Aquacontroller? I would like to know your thoughts on the software as well. What you like about it, and what you dislike. Are there any features that you think could be usefull? Are there any problems that you can see?

Personally, I think Aquanotes is cumbersome, slow and poorly designed. I think that there can be many improvements to it.

I have found there are quite a few systems out there aside from Neptune systems. Anyone have them?

Aquatronica
    IKS
    Aquadyne
    -Dazz

Hummm, the Professional Aquatronica System at aquarium obsessed is 0$ wonder if you order one they have to fullfill it?
    675 Gallon Aquarium in the works

hahaha doubt it
    -Dazz

Bump. I would really appreciate your guys (and gals) insights on these things. I'm sure you have plenty of good ideas
    -Dazz

Dazz,

I have been looking carefully at the Lighthouse controller from Premium Aquatics. My number one priority is the ability to monitor my tank from anyplace in the world via the internet (I get around a bit).

This controller has a great webserver function, but the device control options on the Lighthouse are VERY limited. It can control a heater OR a chiller. You have to choose between fuge lights, ORP control, or Ph control. You get just one.

The Aquacontroller II is the other choice. Tangman swears by his. However, I hate the serial interface to aquanotes. I would have to dedicate a computer to run aquanotes and then tunnel in via VPN or something to see my system from the road. That is just too complicated for me.

Overall I am really stuck. The ideal system would be an Aquacontroller Jr or Aquacontroller II with a simple webserver setup.

It seems like it should be possible to convert the serial port to to TCPIP and then come up with some sort of simple dedicated webserver. Put all of that in a simple box with plug-and-play directions, and people would beat a path to your door.

I'll leave that to you software experts to figure out.

Bill

What about the Aquacontroller III. Does it not have a built in server. That you could access through any computer with a username and password?

I would also like a controller but it is not in the budget right now and I also am not so sure the Aquacontroller III is right for me. Besides it is big Bucks. For something that is not REALLY necessary.
    Right now i am keeping a log of my parameters and additions of live stock and maintenace with a program called ReefCon 2000. It's better than pen and paper for now.

Saw this on the net. This is computer software (with a webserver) that will monitor aquariums and control X10 components.

http://www.draquarium.com/

Glenn

The Aquacontroller III pro is an ideal solution except it is way too much money. I don't need all that sophistication, just the integrated webserver and basic control capabilities.

You see it's interesting to see all these thoughts. There are way more software packages and controlers than I ever imagined.
    I will put up a little disclaimer:
    Because I am disapointed by Aquanotes, I have been working on my own software that will interface with the AC, have a (hopefully) more intuitive interface, and eventually have many features that are unique. Eventually I would like to have it interface with many different controlers. I know this doesnt remove the need for a PC as you would like Bill, but it's really for the people who already use a PC software solution and are looking for something better.

Here are my thoughts on features so far:
    Tracking of multiple Tanks simultainously
    XML based Logging for easy use in web pages
    Graphing
    Email interface to both check on, and control the software with
    FTP client to upload data to any FTP enabled web host
    Advanced programming features to allow complex control of devices (through the AC)
    Plus a few other things that I'm not sure of yet
    -Dazz

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazz
    XML based Logging for easy use in web pages
    Email interface to both check on, and control the software with
    FTP client to upload data to any FTP enabled web host
    - Hmm, when you say XML based logging, do you also mean the possibility of automatically exporting live (current) paramaters to a text file or HTML/XML? Aquanotes currently doesn't allow for this unless you run an external program, and even then, you have to make sure to shut down Aquanotes first since it hooks onto the serial port, denying access to anything else.

- Email interface? Hmm.. explain more here. Do you imply that one could simply email a command to the controller? I'd be worried about that one, with the amount of spam, etc circulating the net, you gotta make sure that your host doesn't get setup to relay messages or worse, mis-interpret a spam mail for a command by mistake.

I would still prefer a web interface, as with the current version of Aquanotes WEB, that is password protected, allowing for a guest user with view-only rights.

- FTP client, don't understand this one either... what data would you upload to another host, and for what use?

I'm very interested in your progress on this. While I don't have that many problems with Aquanotes right now, I find the fact that it's programmed in VisualBasic cumbersome and buggy at best.

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast