Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red flat worms

Red flat worms

I think my tank is infested with red flat worms. At any given time, I can see hundreds of them on the front glass. They are red with a "V" shaped tail-end. They seam to eat the algea on the glass before I wipe it off. I only have zoas, shrooms and gsp so they don't pose any problem for now. But I read that they will be a problem when I want to try sps again. What should I do?

They sound like bristle worms. I had problems as well, I got a six line wrasse, and it seems to have eaten most of them. Mine where fairly small, around an inch each. Big ones you may need to buy or make a trap. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Those little buggers are a pain.....had them in my tank a few times.
    There is a product called 'Faltform Exit' that will kill them, however, you have to follow the directions exactly!
    Go a water change and syphon out as many as you can, dose the tank with the flatworm exit and you will see them die off quicky. Syphon them out as they die.
    Be ready to run carbon afterwards to remove the toxin these little buggers release when they die and have extra fresh salt water on hand for water changes.
    And then wait about a week, you may have to do it again.

Check the internet for pictures of flatworms to be sure this is what you have in your tank.

If you have questions, let me know.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I just found a thread called "Flat Worm Exit Help". Have a look, it seems like it should help you too.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

yep, sound slike flat worms. buy the exit, do it now

I also used Flat worm exit. Double dose does the job, filter, make a 50% water change. I did a 10% and it almost killed all my fish. Royal Gramma died.
    My 2 cents with the product.

Hi Flycut.

Here are some threads regarding flatworms....thought these would help as well.
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...light=flatworm

I would recommend staying with the 1drop per gallon of water and not double-dosing...guaranteed way to kill other life in your tank.
    Regards,
    Patrick.

Thanks for the links, I had read them before, but reading them again made me think. They kind of look like these but red.

Weird looking things. PS - Your location, Buckingham, are we to assume palace? lol

Here is a closeup picture of a red flatworm (picture originally posted by tang_man_montreal a while back).
    Regards,
    Patrick.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast