Thread: Finger Leather

Finger Leather

Hello,

Ive added a finger leather to my tank last Sunday, and it has yet to open up. Im not sure if its getting enough light, or flow. Any suggestions?

The red circle shows the area of the tank that the finger leather is located. Would it be better located else where? In the top right corner is a penguin 1140 power head pointing up and to the centre, and in the top left corner is a Hagen 301 power head pointed slightly down and towards the centre. My lighting is 110 watts PC (1 55W actinic, 1 55W 50/50 Actinic/10000K) and is about 3 1/2" above the water.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

patience is key, as soon as it starts opening ur set

Thanks.

I was told they were a super easy coral that could "grow in a mud puddle". I had thought it would have opened up by now. I'll leave it be and see what happens.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:

Leathers will often get that waxy look and then peel off a layer and go on from there. Not unusual to take a while to acclimatize but personally I would move it into the light more and into the current more.

Ron

oh sometimes if they get slimy, i would put them near jets of cureent cause the slime can suffocate them, in nature critters and current clear it off

My leathers like the moderate flow, i find they open more.
    finger leather especially i find just gets bigger and swollen looking rathern then the Giant polyps that come out of the umbrella or toadstool
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I have or should I saw had a large finger leather for about two years. I bought it as a frag and it went through several phases of what I would call complete deflation. When I moved up to a larger tank with metal halides it exploded in size and the fingers turned to arms and it got too large over the past 6 months. I fraged it last night and made 4 decent sized frags. They looked very deflated last night, but, this morning, they were fully expanded and you would never know they were just sliced up. I attached each of them 4 pieces to small flat pieces of live rock. My point is that they seemed to do better in very bright light despite the fact that they are considered a lower light softie.

Anyone in the Moncton area that wants one drop me a line as I don't need or want four.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman
    I have or should I saw had a large finger leather for about two years. I bought it as a frag and it went through several phases of what I would call complete deflation. When I moved up to a larger tank with metal halides it exploded in size and the fingers turned to arms and it got too large over the past 6 months. I fraged it last night and made 4 decent sized frags. They looked very deflated last night, but, this morning, they were fully expanded and you would never know they were just sliced up. I attached each of them 4 pieces to small flat pieces of live rock. My point is that they seemed to do better in very bright light despite the fact that they are considered a lower light softie.

Anyone in the Moncton area that wants one drop me a line as I don't need or want four.
    I agree they like bright light and will flurish in it. but they can survive and grow in low light.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Thanks for the info. I moved it higher in the tank today, so I guess we'll see what happens.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    Livestock:
    Corals: