Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carbon in the sps reef

What do you consider the best way to use carbon in an sps reef tank?
    Thanks
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I find running it in a seperate canister filter one of the best methods or a hang on power filter will do.Many just drop it in there sump but I prefer the canister/hang on option.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Thanks Rob. Do you run it continuously or do you take it out for a while? I guess I didnt ask the question properly

I guess I remember reading that some people recomend not running it continuously??

I have a realy big overflow box and carbon seems to be working well in there. Same with my phosguard.

Hi Pat,
    No I run it once in awhile,actually its been over 2 months I have not used any.There are only two brands I would use and suggest thats Marineland Diamond or Matrix Carbon which I always use,their are other brands out on the market but those two have always been highly recommended for years now.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

it only last about a month, and people don't use it often in reef tanks from what i've gathered, i would recommend using it every few months for a month

u'll notice the crystal clear water which is always nice!

Quote Originally Posted by ReefSalt
    Hi Pat,
    No I run it once in awhile,actually its been over 2 months I have not used any.There are only two brands I would use and suggest thats Marineland Diamond or Matrix Carbon which I always use,their are other brands out on the market but those two have always been highly recommended for years now.

Thanks, Im on matrix hyeah: hyeah:

Thanks rice picker. You know to be honest, leaving the carbon in for the entire month somehow seems a bit longer than I remember it being recomended.
    I guess I dont know very much about carbon or chemistry alltogether but I would think that carbon acts fairly quickly, it only takes about 1 day to get your water cristal clear...

I might be totally off the deep end with this one??? Maybe Rob or someone else can chime it up?

i would like to know more about this also since im running some in my hob. anybody else have any input. should i change it once a month ?

well, activate carbon has many pores, and heavy metal and chemical bind to these pores and removed from the water, i think we all know that

thus, the dirtier ut water is, the fast the pores are clogged, and faster the carbon becomes useless. (actually u can recycle this stuff by using it for other things)

so if u use it on a regular basis as i mentioned, keeping ur water clean, u should get 1 month life out of them

this also differs by grade of carbon, water circulation (how many times tanks water passes through carbon/hour), pre-filtering media etc...

Previous discussion on Carbon

The best coal out there would be what we have in MATRIX and MARINELANDS Diamond called Bituminous coal .
    Here is a discussion where I posted the breakdown of carbon for all those intrested.

Carbon Thread
    HTH

ReefSalt

Setup:
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Here is the post if you dont want to read the entire thread.

There are different types of carbon/coal,you can have low end Coconut ,Wood or peat based,or animal bone coal that contains high phosphates which we know what that feeds ALGAE, and ash which is responsible for Ph shocks.

There is the Activated Carbon that has been treated with oxygen in order to open up millions of tiny pores in the carbon It has an enourmous surface area per gram. Activated carbon absorbs various substances,it does this attaching to the carbon pores by chemical reaction.organic or inorganic pass near the carbon surface, they attach to that surface and are trapped.

The highest grade such as Bituminous coal which is the highest next to anthracite coal.What makes Bituminous coal better its the processing ex:cooking temp for higher pores=more absorbtion of DOCS and chemicles and after being ACID washed which is responsible for removing most of the phosphates and ash this process is reapeted several times and this is why some carbons are so much more expensive.

Here is what you should look for dont buy it just because it makes claims I took this from a manual(Dhelm) .

1-If the label gives key specifications (porosity, density, ash, and phosphate content) then the supplier likely has nothing to hide and the carbon is likely a good one like Matrix Carbon.

2-If the carbon boasts no phosphate, then the supplier is either lying or doesn't know any better.Neither is very reassuring. All Carbon contains phosphate it all depends upto on what level it may leach.

3-Compare weight and volume. The less weight for a given volume, the greater the porosity and the better the carbon, all-else being equal. You can usually do this without buying the product first. After buying the product, this parameter will be reflected by the carbon's ability to float and fizz.

Some physical characteristics that should be evident before buying should be considered. Particle size,
    Powdered carbons offer no real advantage and are difficult to handle.

Large particle sizes become impenetrable by water and so only the outer 1-2 mm of the particles are absorbent, making as little as 20% of the carbon useful.

Spherical shape is ideal hydro-dynamically for unimpeded water flow and inability to pack, and is therefore superior to random granular shapes once again Matrix Carbon.

Didnt want it to be this long but started typing and couldn`t stop.
    Hope this helps.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Setup:
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast