Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My 10 gal Nano Project

Alright, I'm starting a new little project. I want to build a nano out of a 10 gal tank that I have. I'm going to divide the tank lengthwise in order to create a small refuge behind the display. I want to be able to grow macro algea and pods and stuff.

Here is the design that I'm thinking of going with for the refuge.

I think I'll make the wall out of black acrilic. I'll be able to put the heater and the powerhead in the sump, so you won't see any equipment. I'm not sure if this setup will include a protein skimmer or not. I'm looking at th coralife super skimmer. Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer.

I'll have a DSB in the fuge (probably about 4 inches). I'm thinking of making my own hood with a 70W MH and probably an actinic. I'm not sure how I'm going to do the fluorescent yet. Suggestions?

As this is still just in the planning stage, I would love any feedback anybody may have.

Very nice,
    I haven't played witht he idea of adding it directly to my display tank. something to consider.

I origionally was going to take a 10 gallon and put a divider where one part was lower then the other (an overflow) then have another divider where water would be forced down, and then a aquaclear hanging on sideways pumping water back into the main area...
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Thats pretty much the idea of my design.

Alright, I finaly had the acrylic sheets cut in order to devide the tank. My problem now is that the tank is made of glass and I'm not sure if the two are compatible (i should have thought of this before). Is it possible to bind acrylic to glass? Can I just use silicone to bind the two or will silicone not stick to acrylic?

Well you can get acrylic and glass to bond to each other. (Thou it's not a very good way of doing it) All you got to do is to rough up the pieces of acrylic where silicone is going to touch it. This will give the silicone a foot to hold onto. Also I would put alot of braces between the acrylic sheet and the glass back. This will help with alot of the force that will be applied to the silicone on the acrylic from the main display. All the same there shouldn't be that much strain on a Nano.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

My sump/fuge is a standard 10G glass tank. I used 1/4 inch acrylic to devide it into several areas. I used clear silicone and it's held no problem for more than 6 months. I have a friend who did the exact same thing. Only problem I can see for you in the main tank is that silicone is messy. You'll have to find a good way to apply it.

EDIT: What's the ratio going to be of display area/fuge area?

Thanks mike, I was thinking about roughing-up the acrylic.

As for the braces, I'm going to have two compartments in the back part, so that division will brace it. Also, the water level will be almost the same on both sides of the divider so there shouldn't be much pressure difference between the two.

As was pointed out above make sure you rough up the edges of the plastic where the silicone will contact the plastic. Medium sand paper will do a nice job. Apply a bead to both sides if possible. Do a neat tidy job and you should be OK. Use care when filling it so the display or fuge side is not completely empty while the other is full. Fill both evenly at the same time to reduce pressure on that plastic pane.
    Rob

I would use 100% silicone shold be stirdy enough to hold
    i did it when i created a wet/dry for a frog in the summer
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

The main tank to sump ratio is about 3:1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast