looking for live copepods...

Where can I find these? I have a scooter blenny that eats frozen food, but I'd rather feed him copepods... Does anybody have lots and lots I could steal?
    Or tell me where I can get them?

Thanks,
    Adam -Montreal

Banned
    Here try Reef Crew.

Adam:

If you don't have a way to add an in-line refugium to your current set-up, an easy self-contained refugium can be assembled fairly inexpensively. Go to your local Salvation Army/GoodWill or similar used item outlet and buy a 10 gallon aquarium that some FW person has decided to donate. May have to go back a few times but if you are lucky you may find a tank with cover, small AquaClear filter, heater and light canopy for $20 or so. The condition of these items is almost irrelevant to your project. You need the tank to hold water but don't care if it is dirty or the glass is scratched; you need the AquaClear to provide some water flow (pump mechanism must work) but don't need the filter media or basket; you need the canopy and light but don't care if fluorescent or incandescent (actually any light will do and .

To the above add:

1) The water from your next main tank water change (no need to use freshly made salt water for your copepod project so use the "new" water for your water change and the "discard" water for you copepod project).

2) Some substrate (an inch will be plenty. Include some substrate from your existing tank to supply some of the "live" ingredients).

3) About two pounds of "live" rock (the amount is probably irrelevant in the overall process - just using it as seed stock anyway). I suggest 2 pounds since that gets you a nice piece or two of useable LR that you can add to your main tank later if the copepod project is discontinued.

BTW - Floating coarse filter foam and bioballs in the tank also works fine and gives the various creatures somewhere to hide, etc. It's easy to find the bristleworms in the bioballs later. If you have fish that like to eat bristleworms (some do) then it is a qiuck transfer to pick up a bioball and transfer it to the main tank until the worms are eaten and then move the bioballs back to the copepod tank again. The copepods tend to crawl all over the outer edges of the filter faom and are easy to see for future harvesting.

You can also transfer your initial bioload to your copepod project by weighing down a piece of filter foam in your main tank and leaving it there for a few days and then moving it over. It doesn't take long for the critters to migrate into the foam and faster while waiting for fresh LR to supply the creatures.

Light does not need to be reef level intensity. The spiral compacts fit in the old FW aquarium reflectors and are adequate. I use the Phillips daylight spiral compacts for this purpose and they seem to do the trick.

Just like with a new SW tank some cycle time should elapse before throwing in any cleaning crew (some might argue that cleaning crew might defeat the purpose but I add a couple of hemits and snails anyways). Don't worry if it looks grubby - the creatures don't care about appearances. Just put in some fish food every few days after the first week or so and soon you will have 10 gallons of copepods, bristleworms and likely everything else imaginable and all for a cost of under $35. After that harveting them will be the trick :speedbana

Add some macroalgae if you can find it locally.

Best of luck with your copepod project.

Ron

Hey, I already have a 10 gal setup under my 33, I use it store water, it has an aqua clear and incand light. I can always put a screw in mini comp flor on it... So I just add sand and LR and the cope pods will grow?

That should do it.

As well, if you throw in a bioball or two and a bit of old (or new) filter sponge, you will probably be able to see the progress even quicker since it is easier to see them populating the bioballs and the filter sponge.

Ron

If I add lr and Ls and macroalgae, can I still use this water to do my water changes? Adding copepods with every water change?

How long do you think till i see some?

IMO should be fine to do that. Others might have different opinions.

I use a 5 gallon glass carboy like you get for wine making to mix and store my SW in but using the water from your copepod project should not be a problem. After all, it will effectivley be a refugium and normally the regugium would be in-line.

Ron