Softie pump size?

I need a pump for a closed loop on a softie tank > 2.5-3 ft headloss, 2 elbows (one from the pump and one at the top of the tank) 4ft spraybar with 4 outlets.

I was thinking about the pump in the link but then wondered if I should go with the size up (1587gph) and not being an expert on plumbing Iíd see what the general consensus is.

I donít want too much flow since it is a softie tank but also donít want to fall short.

http://www.reefsolution.com/catalog/...roducts_id=115

IMO pretty decent pump for the size/name/price.

Banned
    I don't know the size of tank this is for but if you like you can get the larger pump and put in a ball valve. The pump will see the partially closed ball valve as more headway. This way you can get exactly the flow you like.

eRRR Sorry 72 gal.

Just a point of clarification, most closed loops don't suffer much "real" head loss. "real" head is the measure from water surface of the source container to the water surface of the destination container. For a closed loop this measure is 0 (same container). They only suffer "effective" head loss from friction, and that usually isn't much unless you have small plumbing. I'd suggest 1" or more for this range of flow.

With the listed pump and 4 outlet it would compare to 4 Maxijet 1200s for flow. This would be a decent amount of flow, but, wouldn't have much fluctuation.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

My pump will be located about 3 ft under the tank, sucking water 3 ft down and then 3 feet back up would be considered *friction* no? I know there will be some loss because I know someone with similar setup and they had a considerable loss, considerable enough that the pump they had purchased was not strong enough and I would rather figure out exactly what I'll lose and go with the right size pump the first time.

The four outlets are pointed in various positions for max circulation and so there are no dead spots.

what is the diameter of the plumbing you will be using- this is very important for flow restriction issues.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I have 3/4" , I have it almost completed, just need to make the intake.

How long would you make the intake & how many holes in it?

I think that the 1587gph pump would be a waste. With 3/4 in, to the pump and from it, I think that it would be cavitating -trying in vain to get that much flow. 1000gph pump should do the trick- if you are worried, put a valve on the output of the pump to control the flow. There will be considerable flow restriction with 3/4 in. diameter plumbing, especially with a few elbows in the works.
    In terms of length of intake, I don't really know- depends on the hole size etc..make it long enough to accomodate enough holes so that any one hole has very little suction, you know, to keep critters from getting stuck..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks for your input. I haven't had the intake plumbing done (outgoing is done and 3/4") and I'm told that I should put a larger size (1") on the intake.
    I'm thinking of making it (inside the tank) about 12-18 inches long.

Would you suggest 1/4" holes or smaller and every inch or so? Again thanks I am no expert and as far as my husbands concerned (no interest in this hobby) he wants to be told exactly what to do. He can get the job done if told what I need but he's no expert in plumbing either :errr: