M/H bulb question...

Changed over my bulbs and 1 is not firing up properly so I will be returning it tomorrow morning is it ok if I use one of my old bulbs with my 1 new on.. Old bulb was a coralife SE 10k bulb (175 watt) new one is a XM 10k 175 watt bulb or should I just throw in both of the old ones (coralife 's) ??

just for a few days that wouldn't hurt, but the reduced intensity might cause an algal bloom, maybe thats just in flourecent bulbs though

also need to make sure the one u put on isn't broken, or u risk overloadin' something

I switched out to the old bulbs and will be retirning the 1- 175w xm bulb and plug em in tonight... I do have to say that the xm bulbs were definatly brighter than my coralife ones.

I'd reduce the photoperiod dramatically after the bulb change and then bring it back up slowly over several weeks. New bulbs often are much more intense than the old ones- especially if the old ones are over 18 monthes. XMs are especially intense and can burn corals that have not acclimated to their brightness.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Great advice reefmutt... I'm taking down the photoperiod to 6.5 hours instead of the 8 that I had before (on the halides only)... ALso update... I swaped over the XM bulb that was burning yellow for a new one and works GREAT nice crisp white Once I switch over my NO attinics for 2 - 110 watt VHO super attinics I'll be a happy camper