Building a reflector

I'm building a new hood and light system. Not sure what to build my reflector out of. I was looking at the ones Ivan sells and they seem a bit expensive. Is there anything else I could use. Can I get reflective alluminum at Home depot or something?

those and most lighting reflectors are costly for a reason. there bent at specific angles to optimize the reflection and/or are made of highly polished aluminum. you could use hammertone or something else but chances are you'll lose some light.

liv
    Johnny is absolutly right,
    the reflectors sold by ivan are all cad designed and are optimised for the type of setup its sold for ( calibrated for our application ). I made myself some in the past, but once I converted, the diff is amazing. not saying its not doable.. most likely wont be as efficient in reflecting light.

I was affraid you were going to say something like that. Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll get one from Ivan.

liv
    You can still do it, don't get me wrong.. i'm all for DIY when ever possible. but just think about all the precious light lost

Hey Xman ... Are you using a 70DE Halide for your setup? If so you can use the "rona" or "home depot" halogen fixture to hold the bulb. It comes with a reflector and socket for the bulb. You can probly get one for less than 20$ CAD. The only thing is you have to make sure there's enough room in your canopy for it. I can't remember the name of the fixture though. But I used it for my socket, Ivan uses it, Tonyrodrigues uses it and I think Liv used it as well. Maybe someone can chime in with a make and model as I don't remember. If you're supplementing with Actinics you'd have to figure something out for those. I had aluminum(not brushed) in my previous lighting setup. After upgrading I realised that the reflector made all the difference. My tanks is more than 2 times as bright as it was before. The new fixture has an awsome reflector in it.

Good luck,

Steph

marinescape sells reflectors also at 3 feet and 2 they are a little pricey but if you think about it, its a one time buy if i were you i would invest in the good reflectors from the start and not have to worry about them ever again,check them out they are also already pre drilled for your vho caps and attaching in to the hood

I am thinking of going with the 70DE MH. I want to make the whole thing 20'' long and am planning on adding one or two actinics. I guess I could get the home depot one and "modify" for the actinincs if they'll fit. I'll probably head over to home depot to see what this light looks like and if it will be doable. I'm also looking at the 70W retorofit kit that Ivan has.

Does anyone know what ballast I can use to run one or two 20W actinics?

I was using a workhorse 5 Ballast for 2 X 28W PC actinics. The 28W actinics are 12" long and would fit a 20" fixture perfectly. They worked great.

Edit: The lighting fixture I was talking to you about that's available from home depot would only fit the 70W DE Halide. You'd have to find something else for the PC bulbs.