Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

this tank needs cleanin!! help...

hey guys....

just did a major cleaning on my tank...man have i let it go.....bad bad me...

here is a quick pic i took. i have a lot of this green stuff growing mad in my tank the past two months. i know i have green bubble algae and im stuck with scraping it off. however in the pic you can see a green plant material that i want to get rid of. i was thinking maybe an angel would get rid of it or some new clean up crew. any ideas? a tang is out of the question, the tank is too small for it. sorry the picture quality is not great...

Man ... that looks like a refugium. Hopefully you can get things back in order.

sorry...clean up crew is...

ceriths snails
    astrea snails
    blue hermits
    nassarius snails
    and a tuxedo urchin...

i have tried emerald crabs... never kept one with sucess

ahahah..ya i do have a refug... that is a real close up pic by the way

A few questions

1) What kind of water are you using?
    If not RO/DI you might be introducin phosphates/nitrates from your water source.

2) How much do you feed?
    Food eventually turns into nitrates. Try reducing the amount of food that you feed. Or try spot feeding.

3) What is your photoperiod
    Algae needs light to thrive. If you don't have too many corals that demand alot of lighting you could try cutting back your photoperiod.

4) How old are your light bulbs
    Some people believe that older bulbs can cause algae breakouts. I have not witnessed this myself but I have heard several people mention this.

EDIT: Also if you haven't prunned the algae in your refugium lately ... now might be a good time. If you have alot of algae in the refugium maybe new algae can't grow and your refugium is not consuming enough nitrates. If you have alof of algae in your refugium I think it's time to donate some to some local reefers

Quote Originally Posted by StephG
    A few questions

1) What kind of water are you using?
    If not RO/DI you might be introducin phosphates/nitrates from your water source.

2) How much do you feed?
    Food eventually turns into nitrates. Try reducing the amount of food that you feed. Or try spot feeding.

3) What is your photoperiod
    Algae needs light to thrive. If you don't have too many corals that demand alot of lighting you could try cutting back your photoperiod.

4) How old are your light bulbs
    Some people believe that older bulbs can cause algae breakouts. I have not witnessed this myself but I have heard several people mention this.

EDIT: Also if you haven't prunned the algae in your refugium lately ... now might be a good time. If you have alot of algae in the refugium maybe new algae can't grow and your refugium is not consuming enough nitrates. If you have alof of algae in your refugium I think it's time to donate some to some local reefers

1. Im using RO/DI water

2. Im sure i dont feed to much. I mix it up with dried, frozen brine shrimp, blood worms, plankton, variety is the spice of life...

3.im using 192 w PC lights. one atinic and one 10,000k. Atinic comes on at 130pm 10,000 on at 2pm.. 10,000k off at 930pm atinic off at 10pm.

4.they are new bulbs maybe only about 8mts old.

Actually in the process of getting rid of some micro in my refug very soon.. hey hippo....(by the way i will be off a bit next week so you can pic it up)

Seems like you're doing all the right things. Is your water still testing low on the TDS side? Did anything "big" die in the tank lately?

water meter on the rodi is always 0

i have had a colt that was not doing well... it wasnt recovering so i took it out today.

any suggestions for extra clean up crew? think an angel would cut down on the growth? seems like when i had a coral beauty i never had this stuff... could be coincidence i guess.

A lawnmower blenny maybe? They have that name for a reason

EDIT: If you could get an emerald crab to survive ... they really plow through algae.

may i just never had enough when i had the crab.....there is lots there now.

the plants growing in my tank are racemosa (foreground) and valonia (in the back).... thanks to the guys at Esan Aquatics for identifying them for me.... :thumb:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast