Re: 10 gallon mini reef (help)

Iwouldn't worry about "over kill" of filtration. *Place in as much LR as you can keeping the tank look good. *Get a bakPAK type skimmer for the back of the tank. *On the BAKPAK, use the one side as a mini refugium if you can. *Here's a new idea for you that I saw the other day.

A friend took a 10 gallon tank, drilled the bottom and put in a homemade overflow in one corner. *yes, in a 10 gallon tank. *The tank rests on a 1/2 acrylic base (black). The base is about 6 gallons in total holding about 4 gallons of water.  He has live sand, small pieces of LR, a small light, and macro algae in there.It's the wildest thing I've seen *It's definately mini in all respects. *He's had it running now for 6 months and so far I can't say I've seen anything look so organized, and neat. *I'm getting some pics this weekend.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

That sounds very kewl mouse6196... I've been thinking of starting a 10 gal nano in my cubicle at work.  ;D

Can't wait to see the pics

IJO

I've set up a 15 gallon mini in the past and it ran great. For filtration I just crammed as much rock in there as possible and used a Skilter (make sure you take the media out and just run the skimmer part of the skilter).
    For lighting I used 2x24" regular output flourescents, was adequate for leather corals, mushrooms and a brain coral.

ijo

LR = Liverock

Refugium is another aquarium connected to your main system, usually above or in your cabinet. This tank is a place for algea, critters(for protection), livesand, whatever else you can think of.  

A lot of people do not like adding macro algea to their main system, they think its ugly.  A refugium would be a perfect place for macro algea as it helps clean your water from excess nutrients at the same time starving that pest green film algea that sticks to your main aquarium show tank.

[CUT]
    A refugium is a body of water that's physically separated from the main aquarium, but shares a common water supply with it. (One) purpose of a refugium is to provide a refuge for animals and(/or) algae that suffer from excess predation in the main display tank. The (net) effect is to increase the diversity of the whole system beyond that possible with a single tank of similar size." Synergism--the whole is greater than the sum of the parts
    [/CUT]

Hope this helps

IJO

P.S I'll add an updated version to our FAQ for future reference.

For all nano reefs, you must have:

Tylenol
    Good stiff drink
    and steady nerves

Just keep in mind, with little water in a system, the slightest changes in the system have huge results.  but it's still a great challenge.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

lol mouse...