Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lighting Change cause an Algae outbreak?

Recently upgraded my lighting from one 40 watt Normal Florescent to 260 watts - Power Compacts. 4x65 watts - 2 10K, 2 Actinic. I have the lights on about 10 hours per day. First the Actinics are on for 1 hour, then the 10k's come on for about 8 hours(actinics are still on), and then the Actinic's stay on for another hour. Since I got the new lights, I got a bad outbreak of Diatom. Can a change in the light intensity - such as mine - cause such an outbreak? Any suggestions how I should combat this or change my light timings. Any ideas would be appreciated. my tank is going on 5months old and although I've had the aglae before, I've never had it this bad.

P.S. I've been doing a 15% water change every two weeks. Nitrates tested at 10 mg/l yesterday, ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Don't have a phosphate test kit. My ALK is quite high - 14dkh and calcium low - 200 mg/l - although I don't really trust either of these readings because they're from Hagen test kits and don't seem to be accurate.

Hi Hendu! Yes, it is likely your lovely new lights. Try cutting back your photoperiod. I believe it is generally recommended to gradually increase the amount of time new brighter lights are on to help avoid this.
    I'm sure someone will come on with how long to leave them on for . In the mean time, don't panic. Diatoms are yummy to all sorts of things!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

ijo
    I would drop it to 6-8 hours a day and get yourself some snails(turbo's, astreas, ceriths and margaritas)... theses guys will clean your tank up in no time... and the reduced lighting period will help them win the battle. Hope this helps.

IJO

Thnaks for the quick replies. I'll cut back my lights - IJO any good deals on snails?

ijo
    Astrea's are going for $1.49... I'm not sure how many we have left... but will try to offer this deal for the rest of the month.

IJO

Sorry for my ignorance - how do you ship them? I've only ever ordered dry goods over the net before.

ijo
    Canada Post or UPS... both will get the package there before noon the following day.

IJO

IJO - I'm interested in getting some. What info do you need?

ijo
    Sent you a PRV message

Hendu,

Quote by IJO
    I would drop it to 6-8 hours a day and get yourself some snails(turbo's, astreas, ceriths and margaritas)... theses guys will clean your tank up in no time...
    The turbo's, astreas and ceriths are the snails to clean the tank ... the margaritas are for you to drink while you admire what a good job they're doing ... :

IJO you're the best, you think of everything ... :

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast