Thread: Sebae Anemone

Sebae Anemone

Hey All
    I Purchased a beautiful sebae anemone a couple of days ago in hopes that my ocelaris would be its friend. The clown loves this anemone, but for some reason, wherever I place the anemone in the tank it flips over and lies face-down on the substrate. I figured that this can't be good, so I flipped it back over so that it would get enough light, but every time i come back to the tank, it has flipped back over onto its face. Does the anemone mean to do this? Is it just the current in my tank? Should I worry about placing the anemone where I want it, or will it move there on its own?
    I really want this anemone to survive, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

unfortunate, ur sebae's survival rate is next to nil, those things are nearly impossible to keep alive, even with proper lighting. if its not attaching, it means its not liking the conditions

sebaes usually like to live between rock crevices rather than on the substrate so you might try letting it attach between some LR or something. hopefully the clown doesn't run into it too much while its trying to attach.

if u seen signs of deterioating, get it out before it pollutes the water, cause sabaes are pretty mcuh gone at that point

a better choice of host anemones for the clowns is carpet, bulbtip, or long tentacle.

a carpet anenome? are you serious? they are way harder to keep then sebae and usually will outgrow an aquarium in no time if the conditions are right, i would definately not recommend any carpet to anyone unless they are experts or have a species only tank... just me two cents

A couple things about sebae anemones (and most anemones).....

A healthy one should be able to right itself alone.
    It needs very intense lights; read here metal halides!
    It also needs perfect water chemistry; read here amonia/nitrites/nitrates 0 and a good ph/ca/alk balance.
    It needs turbulent water movement. Not to be plastered by one power head but the tentacles should move in all directions.
    IT will decide where it wants to go! Never expect it to stay where YOU want it to be. It will favor close proximity to the light and good flow (see above)
    Never try to wedge it somewhere! you could damage the foot and create an infection that will surely kill the poor animal.
    They get BIG! And I mean BIG! my H.Magnifica when completly extended gets to be close to 18 inches and is still growing!
    They also need to be fed... and I'm not talking mysis here... real pieces of tiger shrimp, silversides, scalops, squid...anything meaty and UNCOOKED.
    one last thing (I think) don't expect your clowns to automaticly host the anemone whatever the species on both counts! They don't NEED an anemone in our closed systems. Anemones in the wild protect clownfishes and their young. In our systems there should be no predation so no NEED for one.
    If after all this you or someone else decides to keep one (like I did) be prepared and research
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

I'm sure my anemone is a Sebae and it is doing great! I put it near a rock and pushed against it till it attached. I feed it everyday pretty much and it hasn't moved at all. It's been 4 months and it is getting to be around 9 inches or so.But I also have all the requirements that Carol mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    unfortunate, ur sebae's survival rate is next to nil, those things are nearly impossible to keep alive, even with proper lighting.
    Thta is not true. I found a picture of my anemone and it is a Seabe. It's doing great and I don't think it's going to dies any time soon ( I hope not anyways)

yup thats sebae alright...

i never had any luck with them, but had carpets that thrived, so IME they are easier to keep.. and easier to keep... again, IME

i heard of sebaes reaching over 2ft in diameter and carpets over a meter