skimmer for 180g

I'm looking to upgrade my skimmer for a 180g reef, with a 75g sump. I have been looking at the asm G4, Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreiated. Im also oppen to alternatives if you think that I should go in another dirrection. Thanks

Have you looked at the Coralife Super Skimmers? They seem to be a popular choice lately.

the coralife is well priced, although I have not heard much about it. anyone who has one I would appriate some feedback on your experience.

another skimmer i have been looking at is the schuran jetskim, has anyone heard good or bad things on this skimmer.

Coralife Super Skimmer wouldnt be big enough for a 180g. Get a G4+ or bigger.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Paaty,

As Dark mentioned, a Coralife super skimmer 3004 isn't enough for a 180gal. However 2 of them would be. The price of 2 of those skimmers would still be below that of a ASM G4x or Schuran. There are many benefits to running 2 skimmers, such as cleaning them on different days so that you always have one skimmer running efficiently. You even have redundancy in case one of their pumps die.

ASM skimmers are great for the money, and come highly suggested. They are somewhat lesser copies of the popular and excellent Euro-Reef skimmers. However they are very thin-walled and collection cups can break easily if dropped.

Schuran, I can't comment on. Their build quality is top-notch, and if their Calcium reactors are any indication of their efficiency, then you can't go wrong. However as with any german product, they come with a hefty price tag.

Euro-Reef, Great skimmers. They are high quality skimmers. Their designs were "borrowed" from German skimmers like Deltec and H&S. Also expensive, but not quite as much as their German counterparts.

Deltec, H&S, Royal Exclusif, very high quality skimmers, but also very expensive. German designed and built, however after sales service can be difficult at times depending on the manufacturer.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

thanks for the info, I think Im leaning to buying the asm g4

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I would suggest looking at the slightly larger model, the G4x. It has a recirculating pump. The G4 may not be able to handle your 180 adequately.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!