Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no's to VHO's

no's to VHO's

I bought an upgrade retro kit for my PFO hood (currently have 2x40 watt no's) wiring on the No's are 16 guage and new wiring for VHO's are 12 guage.. problem I'm having is that I cant get to the wiring on my PFO hood because its spot welded in an area that I would have to break into to get at... So my question is can I just use the current 16 guage wiring or do I need to upgrade to the 12 guage ? I think its 16 and 12 guage I used my wire strippers and put the wire into the section that woud strip the wire and thats what it coincided with so I may or may not be wrong on the guages.

Thank you

Anyone have any input ?

wouldn't worry about it at all. I've used both gages.

ToX
    Remember the Home Improvement episode where AL creates a tool time game and think he will become a milionnaire. Then Tim plays the game with his famaly and FIRE FIRE FIRE, the ambulache caughts FIRE... Then Tim looks at the game to find the problem. The maker of the game did'nt use the right Gauge for the wires... I would'nt take the risk

the gage of wires used in NO fixtures is a tad thicker than the VHO harness wires. Its NOT an issues. I've used both wires on the same VHO fixture for years.

liv
    ToX, your too funny

Smile

I just want to make sure we're clear on what were talking about, you bought a PFO hood? what does it look like? is the VHO ballast inside the hood? were do the VHO wires come out? and are you thinking to wire the VHO ballast to regular [non water proof] endcaps? because the more I read your post the more I'm confused? can you post pic?
    put it this way, I find the VHO ballast wires actually are basically the same as any HOMEDEPOT NO fixture and I've used that wire many times.
    were can I see the hoof you bought, might help.

Johnny the PFO hood is similar to this one http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=pfo-hd42v except mine is white on the inside and at the top has a false area where the wiring to th ehalides and the NO's are run, then out the side and to the ballasts My current NO's wiring are 16 guage and the new VHO retro kit that I bought are 12 guage. The end caps are current not water sealed.

easiest scenario would be to take the false top off and get to the wiring but for the life of me, myself and others have looked at the hood and cant seem to be able to get at it without the possibility of breaking something. thats why I wanted to just splice off teh wiring from my current ballast and then just hook up the new one.. If at all possible. I appreciate all the help.

okay so what VHO ballast are you adding? and the answer is yeh go ahead. I've used normal ballast wiring for VHO and honestly I can't see a difference in the gage. I have used ICECAP 660 ballasts and need to splice normal shop light wire to fit my job.

This is the exact ballast I bought http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ID=pfo-pfbel22
    if the difference in guage will be ok then perfect. Will the NO sockets be ok then as well for the VHO bulbs as again I'm not able to get to the back to change them.
    Thank you sooo much for all of your help. :biggrinbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast