Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Atipastia (sp?) and Bubble Algae Experiences

Im just wondering if anyone else has had the same experiences I've had in this hobby...

...so far Ive set up 3 tanks in my time and bought about 150 lbs of LR in total. In all three tanks Ive used different types of rock, all from different retailers. Every single tank Ive set up has been through bubble algae and atipastia issues. The atipasita is ALOT easier to get rid of than the bubble. Oh, if anyone has a good way to rid your tank of bubble aglae, PLEASE share.

I was wondering if anyone has setup a tank and NOT encountered these issues. Or does this happen to us all? Please share.

happy reefin'
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

ToX
    I never had a algea outbreak in my tank

had some bubble algea but not alot

been up and running for 4 months

There is a couple of fixes, however, none of them are quick. The bubble algae is a result of poor water quality at the source. Sorry. You are probably not using RO/DI water and it is also nutrient rich. There are a couple of options. One is a UV sterilizer. It will zap the pathogens that cause the bubble algae. Get a pair of emerald crabs. They will work away at the bubble algae but they will not get rid of the source. The third thing you can do is to start using RO/DI water if you don't already. If you can't justify the cost of the unit yourself go in on it with a friend or two and start making the water for a months supply of water changes and top ups and then pass the unit on to the next person. You can also find a source such as Culligan that you can buy the 5 gal jugs.

As for the Aptasia, it is the plague of the sea. Peppermint shrimp are cheap to buy and will control it nicely. I have been blasting boiling RO/DI water with a syringe at them and that cooks them instantly. Kills a bit of the coraline algae if its under the aptasia, but, it grows back in a weed or two.

Good luck, and yes, we have all been there.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

I hear ya geekreef_05, I have not had aptaisia touch wood. But bubble algea has been and still is a pian in the but. I have been battling it for about 2 years. I thought I was winning but it seams to be coming back. I have read allot on the bubble algea subject and a book I have says that you can't control bubble algea with nutrients. Apparently the worms and pods supply the bubbles with the nutrients they need. Don't know if it is true or not. I do believe that the best way is manual removal. Skimmers help, I will be trying a uv soon. Emeralds are another story, I got a couple a few months ago. They seam to eat the bubble but much prefer other stuff. I don't think they can survive on bubbles only. Plus I think they are at the root of the disappearance of my cleaner shrimps.

i have those aptasia(spelling) anemones also and i have them all over the problem is i take the rocks that i can move and spray them with boiling hot water and they will go back in the rock but give it a month and there they are back at it and i dont want to disturbe all my rockwork to get rid of the ones that come from the bottom of the rock and they are starting to get real big some of them its just real frustrating especially when i start putting coral in

Use "Joe's Juice" to kill the aptasia.
    Hot vinegar injected directly into the aptasia also works apparently.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Swiseman, i think your a little fast to jump to all those conclusions about me. Actually I am using RO/DI water and I dont think nutrients have much to do with bubble aglae growth (as flycut said). As I stated before Ive been through three tanks, all VERY different in design and function (some nutrient rich, some nutrient low). Ive got 3 pepermint shrimps actually who took care of aptipastia in my nano and is now working on my show tank. Although, they seem to ignor most of it in the show tank...I did use Joe's Juice and it worked ok, I'll have to do the Juice one more time for the leftovers that are growing now.

Im planning on getting more emerald crabs, but Ive tried them before and they dont seem to work too well. Just this morning I put a peice of a rubbermaid container on top of my 'serverly effected rock' with lots of bubble algae...my thinking is that it'll die off without light.

Cooking the rocks is the only solution that has worked permanently for me (in the case of bubble algae).

thanks, please keep posting, Id like to hear everyones experiences.

happy reefin'

i don't agree with you. A major source for bubble algae to grow and flourish is in a tank that is high in nutrients. If you lower the nutrients with a refugium or macro algae then you have a much better chance of limiting the source for the algae to grow in the first place. Not sure how this site works with posting links (if its allowed) but here is one on BA that i found really useful before when i started a battle with it.
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.php

Joe's Juice is great but be careful if you have green hairy mushrooms. They seem to also dislike the stuff.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Quote Originally Posted by geekreef_05
    Swiseman, i think your a little fast to jump to all those conclusions about me. Actually I am using RO/DI water and I dont think nutrients have much to do with bubble aglae growth (as flycut said). As I stated before Ive been through three tanks, all VERY different in design and function (some nutrient rich, some nutrient low). Ive got 3 pepermint shrimps actually who took care of aptipastia in my nano and is now working on my show tank. Although, they seem to ignor most of it in the show tank...I did use Joe's Juice and it worked ok, I'll have to do the Juice one more time for the leftovers that are growing now.

Im planning on getting more emerald crabs, but Ive tried them before and they dont seem to work too well. Just this morning I put a peice of a rubbermaid container on top of my 'serverly effected rock' with lots of bubble algae...my thinking is that it'll die off without light.

Cooking the rocks is the only solution that has worked permanently for me (in the case of bubble algae).

thanks, please keep posting, Id like to hear everyones experiences.

happy reefin'

Sorry, I re-read my origional post and I understand how you may have taken it personally. It does sound like I was pointing fingers and that was not my intention. I do stand by the causes of the bubble algae as poor source water and high nutrients. I personally haven't conducted research on the topic, but I would be happy to try and search for the article in Advanced Aquarist Magazine that is the source of my info.

Cheers,

Sheldon
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast