Smile Any Puffer Owners Out There?

I just happened to be looking at my FO tank today and saw my puffer "puff up" for the first time since I have had him. I went to grab the camera but he had returned to normal shape when I had returned. He was roughly about the size of a golf ball when fully puffed out. Does anyone else know how often they do this, I have heard it can be a sign of stress as well. Anyone lucky enough to get a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobez
    I just happened to be looking at my FO tank today and saw my puffer "puff up" for the first time since I have had him. I went to grab the camera but he had returned to normal shape when I had returned. He was roughly about the size of a golf ball when fully puffed out. Does anyone else know how often they do this, I have heard it can be a sign of stress as well. Anyone lucky enough to get a picture?
    I own a large narrow line puffer. I've only seen him puff up once. I came down the stairs from the mezanine (the aquarium is across from the bottom of the stairs) and walked up to the tank and he was puffed up like a tennis ball. I called my wife Anita to come and see and when I looked back he was down again. I've had him for over a year and only seen it once. He got in my way when I was trying to catch Fred and Barney to move them to their own tank (the tomato clowns) and I shoved him a couple of times with the net. No puffing.

I guess that despite having eaten my emerald crabs and nudibranchs and all the talk of shallots and a pat of butter he doesn't find me threatening.

What kind of puffer do you have?

Hank.

I am not actually sure of the spelling, but it is a Valentini Puffer, still quite small less then 2 inches long. It was very cool to see though, glad I had a chance.

I Had A Porcupine Puffer And When I Was Moving It To A Different Tank I Accidently Took It Out Of The Water And It Puffed Up And The Funny Thing Is When It Deflates It Sounds Like You Are Letting Air Out Of A Tire Real Cool

Fred, Barney, eggs, and the puffer.

Here's a cool video I found while looking for digital photo today. It is of my 90 gallon FOWLR tank with the narrow line puffer in the front upper right hand corner. Now, he's headed for trouble because Fred and Barney used to have their baby rock in the front lower right corner of the tank. You'll see him start to head down to the bottom of the tank when he gets about half way and runs into Barney (who is less than half his length and about 1/10 his weight.) Barney puts the boots to him but he seems undisturbed and continues down. Then he runs into Fred who is around five inches long. Fred and Barney have a go at him and he finally retreats to the top of the tank. He's a nice looking fish but he isn't too bright.

http://www.dna.ca/fish/MVI_0117.AVI

Hank.

Funny vid!
    2.5g pico: 2lbs live rock, that's it for now.

Thanks. They really are ferocious little fish. Bram's bites prove that but just look at those two go at that puffer. It's amazing how fearless they are.

I was showing guests (Anita's aunt and her son and daughter in law) how agressive they are. I stuck my hand in and just manager to get it back out before getting bitten. Fred actually broke the surface of the water coming after me and splashed water out of the top of the aquarium.

Yeeikes!

Hank.