Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how many fish can I have?

so far I have 40 lbs reef bones and 20 lbs of live rock.

added 4 small green chromis a few days ago.

ammonia,nitrite and nitrates are good.

I may add 10-20 lbs more live rock,not sure yet but want to add a few corals later.

how many fish total would be ok to have?

I like yellow tang,royal gramma,niger trigger,lawnmower blennie,clown fish,
    mandarin fish and small angel (forget name) a few more but this is an idea what I like.

I have a skimmer and rena xp3 with bio rings for more bio filtration.

How big is your tank? Based on the amount of rock, I would assume it is under 50G? if so, your choices get more limited. Also, do you want to keep corals?

A yellow tang needs at least 48" of swimming room (a 75G or larger). A mandarin will need a well established tank with an active refugium to provide food. Many of the small angels nip at corals and wouldn't be a good chioce if you want to keep corals and fice. Triggers are very aggressive and could kill many tankmates; I also think they need a bigger tank.

The gramma, clowns (depending on type) and blennie would be OK. I you plan to keep the 4 chromis, and if the tank is in the 30-40G range, I'd think no more than 2 more of these fish could be added (say a pair of clowns).

I sure you'll get more opinions
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by gerry45
    I have a skimmer and rena xp3 with bio rings for producing more NITRATE.

Take the rings out of the rena and just use it for flow and carbon. As Nick asked, how big is your tank?

tank size would help

the tank is 75 gallons

75G could be OK for a Yellow Tang. And, with appropriate LR and a refugium and tank aging could support a mandarin. However, I think you will find that 30-40 lbs of LR is not enough. Most people would suggest that you would need around 75-100 lbs.
    Nick

I had always heard that the rule of thumb is 1" of fish per 1 gallon of water.
    Obviously this is not true for all fish such as a Yellow Tang or Mandarin due to specific issues with the species. Research before you buy anything. I find a fairly good site to research each type of fish or coral is LiveAquaria.com. Use the greenish bubbles at the top to navigate, I would never buy anything from them though, use AC for that.
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Live aquaria is good to see what is available out there. But to do real reserch, you can't realy get anything specific. Everything there is generic. When I really want to reserch stuff, I always go to www.wetwebmedia.com. They have complete fish database and alot of faq's too. I have spent many hours brousing that site, it is great.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markkrysztofiak
    I had always heard that the rule of thumb is 1" of fish per 1 gallon of water.
    That's only for freshwater fish, saltwater is more like 1" per 3-5g depending on the activity level of the fish.

By those standerds, most of us are overstocked. Myself included and all I have are 2 tangs in a 120g. Stocking a tank can't be determinded that way. There are too many variables. If you take your time, your tank will let you know when thats it.

I see the same rule of 1"/4g that Deleted mentioned in a refrence book "The Complete Encyclopeida of Saltwater Aquariums" author Dakin /pub Firefly Books.
    In a small tank like mine 20g = 5" fish thats a pair of clowns or firefish. Perhaps a sinlge dwarf angel. There is nothing wrong with that stocking level when its used a guidline only :biglaugh2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast