carpet anemones vs sea hare?

I was wondering if it's possible for a carpet anemone to eat a sea hare. They always seem to disappear within a dew days. The anemones is about a foot across. On a side note, how big do these things get before they split?

hmm...good question.
    Might explain what happened to the sea hare in my tank.
    The anenome in my tank is about 15" across. Waiting for it to split.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Post a picture of your carpet as there are several species identified as carpet anenomes. The reality is that some can go to 24 inches and more in the home aquarium. There has not been any discussions in the Anenome forum of Reef Central about carpets splitting. If they do it would most likely be due to stress.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

my carpet and clown tang

ohh beautiful blue carpet... musta paid a pretty penny for him eh?

i dunno about the sea hare being eaten, alot of them secrete a strong toxin when stressed... but it certainly is possible

i haven't heard of carpets splitting, i know they can, but i don't think they do it as often as say, bta or lta would

i know in nature carpets can reach over 1m across, dunno about captivity though....

Very nice carpet. The species is Stichodactyla Hadonni or Haddon's Anenome. I am basing the identification on the tightly packed tenticles. They grow to around 24" in the home aquarium. The carpet will not split. It will, however, eat that clown tang, or anything else that touches its oral disk. Is it hosting any clownfish right now? I don't know it they would eat the sea hares.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.