Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

interesting sea salt info

I was researching sea salt mixes and found this site that had analyzed the main brands of sea salt http://www.aquacraft.net/issue3.html. And was surprised to find that the most popular brands fell well below acceptable..
    What are the thoughts out there on this info on this site? If you follow the links they go into detail into how they tested and subsequent results etc, with an affirmative answer to the best, most Naturally replicated sea salt available..
    Yes, you'll have to go to the site and see!!
    :biggrinbo :evillaugh :biggrinbo oof:
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ok, I can't do it...
    I'll tell you, I can hear you from hear....
    the winner is........Marine Environment® with the "little bottle"
    mg3: :smile3::king2: :smokin:
    Has anyone heard of it? Or used it?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

wow, thats a great site - too bad each brand has a problem!
    how does Marine Environment work? is it a big box of salt like the others? I have never even heard of it.
    Albert
    My Photos

Good link Tiff, but my question is, who paid for the study? How independent was it. It looks to me that it is an AQUACRAFT study[I could be wrong] and of course there product rates highest. I actually went thru this same scenerio
    with CRYSTAL SEA MARINE MIX when there was an old study brought up on REEFCENTRAL by DR.RON that stated in certain terms it was a better salt. I changed salts,I had major problems with corals. A LOT of people went thur the same thing and some had no problems at all. We still have no clue why.was it just the change od salts? Any ways, I went back to IO and everything came back fine.

ijo
    I'm one of those poeple who switched to CS from IO with no problems at all.. still using it on all my tanks. Wierd stuff...

IJO

Originally posted by Johnny Rock
    A LOT of people went thur the same thing and some had no problems at all. We still have no clue why.
    If I recall, the suspected problem was _mixing_ CS MarineMix with Instant Ocean. I too use CS. Interesting info on the site though. Never heard of the winner either.

We had a major discussion on the rag about this whole thing. One of the owners of a salt company is behind some of these test. In my opinion stick with what works for you.

MINIATUS

It was a study done by AQUACRAFT, if you look into it a bit more, they "claim" that the tests were independent etc.
    They do say that the best one with the most consistent values with NSW is Coral Marine, and they add that it is an economical brand!! (not manufactured by them)
    It may have answered one or two of my questions, C/Life is very low in Magnesium, as i'd suspected as an attribute to fluctuating ph. About 3 months ago I tested the C/Life before adding it into the tank and my results were similar to theirs, it is sold underweight and the measurements given are inaccurate and the PH was inconsistent in the mix tank, in contradiction to the packaging table.(I'd queried the RS and they knew nothing)
    I'm interested in this Bromide element and will do some looking into it.
    I'm going to look into the top brands mentioned and see what I come up with.
    Johnny Rock, I think it has to do with filtrations etc, as some can remove the trace elements we want etc.
    Is there any thoughts on an archive facility on this site? It would be good for referring to topics, rather than bringing up the same topics.
    I'll post any new info.

The pH values for many of the salts listed are about 9 or over. That seems so inconsistent with the pH values people actually get from using these salts that it would seem to call into question the accuracy of the testing and the other measurements.
    Nick

nickb
    I don't believe they are all 9 or over in the tests.
    I've found that the salt mix levels in the tub is different to the salt in that tank and one goes from one to the other..
    I am not defending the research, and am skeptical too.
    I have a chart that I'll post, I printed it of the net and can't find the link again....
    I'll have to post it in separate parts. I hope its readable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast