live rock question

I don't have a sump but i have more than enough live rock. I was wondering if I put some live rock in a separate tank, with only cycled water, and provided a pump in that tank for movement, would that be enough to keep the rock live, till i get a sump made, probably 1 to 2 months? Would I need to add light, if its just to keep the rock live? ??? Thanks.

Re: live rock question

I would say you do need the light. You don't need fantastic VHO/PC/Halides but you should at least put some 40 watt flourescents over the tank. To initiate the nitrate cycle I believe you need 10-12 hours of light per day. By definition "live rock" is rock exposed to light otherwise it is just dead shelf rock. Make sure you have a good skimmer on this setup also and some water circulation.
    True Perc

Re: live rock question

I agree with perc.  You could even put a desk lamp over the tank....some sort of light will help.  Not absolutely necessary but will help.  Either way, in 1-2 months your rock will not suffer.  It'll spring back to life in short time when you place it back in your tank. 8)
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!